Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

tbh- at this point I wouldn't be shocked if this performed similarly to a modern-day Bond film, with strong overseas grosses (especially in Europe) but a domestic that doesn't even match the budget. 

Not that it's necessarily a problem per se, but all the factors are there.

It's an older franchise centred around a classic-type two-fisted masculine male lead overtly modelled on older pulp heroes, which is still hugely popular and beloved by international audiences and critics, but now seen by younger American ones as either old hat or not as good as the instalments they grew up with.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 4:12 PM, dudalb said:

If you are talking about the poster I think you are talking about you missed the most important point:

His whole "I hate everything" shtick is old and boring.

On 6/16/2023 at 4:13 PM, dudalb said:

What is sad is they think they are being really daring and clever.

On 6/16/2023 at 4:15 PM, dudalb said:

God, somebody still takes youtube reviews seriously????

On 6/16/2023 at 4:16 PM, dudalb said:

I think whole thing was started by one poster whose whole routine is being very negative and smart ass about everything.

On 6/16/2023 at 4:19 PM, dudalb said:

This. 

And that this is the way so much fandom works nowdays is why I am totally disillunoned about fandom in general.

YDkiMkG.png

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Anecdotal evidence; that is so convincing. .

I’m not trying to convinced anyone my friend,actually I am Indy fans too,the old trilogy definitely Masterpiece to me.

Just tell the thread friends lower the expectation,my friend actually live in Australia watched the film and said is not a good movie and is boring,but that’s just his taste.

Edited by Sophia Jane

On 6/16/2023 at 8:03 PM, Elessar said:

Chris Stuckman: "i feel like we've become so binary, it's either good or it's bad, it's great or it's awful and there's no room for nuance anymore which i just think it's awful"

This is so true. Some folks have already decided for themselves that the movie is not worth their money because some score on the internet is not at least 80 so it cannot possibly be good. On the other hand there are movies that get put on a pedestal like they are the 2nd coming of Christ.

In my case you have it backwards: I had little interest in the film but amazing reviews may have encouraged me to see it. But they never materialised, and the clips look crap.

I think many on this forum operate under the assumption everyone’s constantly going to the cinema, when in reality it’s a time consuming luxury that studios are making increasingly redundant with fast streaming turnarounds. So yes, poor-to-mediocre WOM does have an impact if you’re already quite neutral on the product.

Edited by Hatebox

The action adventure genre has been slim pickings for many years. It's usually buried beneath high fantasy or science fiction. The latest Uncharted film was very middling. Outside of Indiana Jones, what is there? The Goonies, Adventures of Tintin, The Mummy, The Rundown, and some other minor successes that didn't receive notable sequels (Journey films). I'm just excited when the moniker of this genre returns to the big screen (despite mixed reviews).

• Like 1