Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

Haven't seen Solo so have no opinion on it but I love how people try to bypass it bombing and getting mixed-positive reviews by saying that they love it. That's fine but it's still a bomb. It's always interesting to see people score a huge gig after a bomb. Of course I myself try not to overreact to bombs anymore. Movies bomb, that doesn't mean that writers shouldn't score other jobs. People have successes and failures. Personally I think the idea of an 80 year old Indy is terrible. I don't care who writes it, it's a terrible idea.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Haven't seen Solo so have no opinion on it but I love how people try to bypass it bombing and getting mixed-positive reviews by saying that they love it. That's fine but it's still a bomb. It's always interesting to see people score a huge gig after a bomb. Of course I myself try not to overreact to bombs anymore. Movies bomb, that doesn't mean that writers shouldn't score other jobs. People have successes and failures. Personally I think the idea of an 80 year old Indy is terrible. I don't care who writes it, it's a terrible idea.

How exactly are people bypassing anything?

Solo failed because of a general lack of interest, not because the script didn't work. You may have had a point if people went to see it in droves only to give it a horrible rating because nobody liked it, but that isn't the case at all. People weren't invested enough in the movie to go to the opening, and they didn't catch on later either, none of which has anything to do with the script, because people who don't go to see a movie couldn't possibly judge whether something has a good script or not, nor do they make their decision on whether to see the movie or not dependant on how the script is.

Not that I really see what you are even trying to say, because you start of criticising others for ignoring that Solo was a bomb (they didn't), only to turn around and effectively say exactly what those you criticised have been saying.

19 hours ago, Valonqar said:

They've learned nothing from Solo debacle. Oh well. At least this will have Ford, right? Right?

I'm not sure what you mean here?  

His dad wrote Raiders of the Lost Ark, it's at least poetic that they hire his son to write this one.

12 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Always the best way to argue, write a text that barely makes sense and then act offended when someone tries to make sense out of it...

I'm not offended. I'm on here to talk about box office, not argue with you. Get your fix from someone else.

8 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I get that they bought Lucasfilm to use these properties but I don't see the IJ franchise lasting outside of Harrison Ford. People see him as Indy even more than Han Solo. You can't recast the role.

Yeah, not all roles can be recast to oblivion like Bond, Batman, Spiderman. Some roles are so identified with the actor that attempts to recast fail or at least have ho-hum results (while Suicide Squad didn't flop, recast Joker didn't set fandom on fire after Ledger proved to be the ultimate take on the character). 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yeah, not all roles can be recast to oblivion like Bond, Batman, Spiderman. Some roles are so identified with the actor that attempts to recast fail or at least have ho-hum results (while Suicide Squad didn't flop, recast Joker didn't set fandom on fire after Ledger proved to be the ultimate take on the character). 

The Joker has been around for 70+ years, he can be recast as much as possible. I vehemently disagree with anyone suggesting otherwise. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

3 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The Joker has been around for 70+ years, he can be recast as much as possible. I vehemently disagree with anyone suggesting otherwise. 

Valonqar ssems to forget that Jack Nicholson was also considered to be "the Ultimate Joker".

I prefer to think of it as two very good actors bringing their individual take on the character.

I agree the the Suicide Squad version was pretty bad, but even their I think the writers and the production designers are as much, if not more, to blame then Leto/