Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

4 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Mangold is a fine option. But I have minimal interest in an Indiana Jones film without Spielberg.

EDIT: And on the surface, this is another fine example of Lucasfilm not having it's shit together.

Variety says this is Spielberg's own call, not Lucasfilm.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Mangold is a fine option. But I have minimal interest in an Indiana Jones film without Spielberg.

EDIT: And on the surface, this is another fine example of Lucasfilm not having it's shit together.

The Variety article mentioned it was Spielberg's own decision, so I don't think it's an issue of bad Lucasfilm management.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

And you have the weird mechanic of Kathleen Kennedy being a former employee of Spielberg...….

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it would be funny as hell if steven spielberg got fired by kathleen kennedy. 

I suspect Speilberg has a lot more creditbiltiy with Disney top management then Kennedy has at the moment.  I think in any clash, Kennedy will lose.

This sucks, I was actually looking forward to Mangold's Bob Dylan film. Whatever.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I was about to say maybe Spielberg is too busy with post-production on West Side Story but that wrapped back in September. Does he have anything else lined up after that?

He has Blackhawks for WB lined up next, allegedly 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

guess this is Mangold's reward for getting Disney 2 Oscars in Ford v Ferrari.  

His other two movies are set up at 20th Century (the Damon one) and Searchlight (the Dylan biopic with Timothee) as well. Looks like his strong relationship with Fox going back to Walk the Line is extending into the Disney era as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

This sucks, I was actually looking forward to Mangold's Bob Dylan film. Whatever.

It's not gonna go away. At the very least, I'm not gonna let it go away. Because Disney would be very Dumbsney if they tried to take that shit away from me.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

It's not gonna go away. At the very least, I'm not gonna let it go away. Because Disney would be very Dumbsney if they tried to take that shit away from me.

What's Chalamet gonna sign onto now that he's got a gap in his schedule, Spider-Man 3 or something haha

According to a source close to the filmmaker, the decision to leave the director’s chair was entirely Spielberg’s, in a desire to pass along Indy’s whip to a new generation to bring their perspective to the story.

Why does Speilberg make that decision two months before production begins, and not during the previous four years of pre-production? Did he just wake up today and decide it's time for a change?

Reminds me a lot of Scott Derrickson's "decision" to "step down" from Doctor Strange 2, after years of prep and a couple months before shooting.

I don't buy Variety's pleasant spin. Something's rotten at Lucasfilm.