RyneOh1040

Wednesday Numbers (TMI DOA w/$3m opening)

People that compared him to Johnny Depp forget to mention that in the span of the next 4 years after his heartthrob role in 21 Jump Street from 1990 to 1994, he starred in Cry Baby (by indie darling John Waters), Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood (a.k.a. two of the best Burton movies), Gilbert Grape and Benny & Joon. So I think Depp had proved himself as a lead actor in that time span

He'd proven himself as an actor (although 21 JUMP STREET was hardly any sort of breakout), but not as a proven box-office commodity. Every single one of those movies was either a flop or a critical disappointment.

To be honest, I don't see why Liam H would break out -- I don't think he's a great actor and I don't think he's charismatic. All I'm saying is stranger things have happened, and it's pointless to write off someone's career after a couple of box-office flops.

Look at Jon Hamm, Bryan Cranston, and Peter Dinklage, for goodness sakes.

• Like 3

Uh? John Waters is a critically acclaimed indie director. That movie is kind of a cult classic nowadays like Rocky Horror Picture Show. I'm sure Depp is proud of this movie thrashing his angel face image..

Critically acclaimed?! Not back then! "Cult icon", sure, but that's not the same thing.

• Like 1

Uh? John Waters is a critically acclaimed indie director. That movie is kind of a cult classic nowadays like Rocky Horror Picture Show. I'm sure Depp is proud of this movie thrashing his angel face image..

Yes but you missed the point of the last 9 pages.  :)

Movies like Splash, Bachelor Party, The Money Pit etc. were all hits, even if they didn’t make 100 million.

L Hemsworth has only had one film as the lead, but already that films opening weekend was disastrous.

Splash was a hit.  The others weren't.  And you conveniently left out his other films that tanked.  Hanks was a nobody in Hollywood until he did A League of their Own.  That was his comeback film.

Just because Liam H doesn't get many lead roles in the future doesn't mean he can't have a good career in supporting roles. So to say he has "no career" is ludicrous. Reminds me if the shit fishnets used to say. Like how any actor that wasn't headlining one hit after another is somehow a failure of a career. Too bad so many people took that thinking to heart

• Like 1

what is this thread even about anymore? we've moved from collins, to hemsworth, now depp and hanks. wtf? lol

It's a way to keep us entertained in this slow movie month and the ones to come. So expect many more threads of this kind. 

He'd proven himself as an actor (although 21 JUMP STREET was hardly any sort of breakout), but not as a proven box-office commodity. Every single one of those movies was either a flop or a critical disappointment.

To be honest, I don't see why Liam H would break out -- I don't think he's a great actor and I don't think he's charismatic. All I'm saying is stranger things have happened, and it's pointless to write off someone's career after a couple of box-office flops.

Look at Jon Hamm, Bryan Cranston, and Peter Dinklage, for goodness sakes.

It's true you never who what'll happen and I said Liam might become a star one day, who knows. However, I actually think he suits tv better at the moment, doing a procedural like NCIS or CW series although I don't expect him to try tv unless all the movie offers dry out. It seem's like he's team is trying to turn him into an action star based on the kind of movies he's done and has been circling.

• Like 1

Splash was a hit.  The others weren't.  And you conveniently left out his other films that tanked.  Hanks was a nobody in Hollywood until he did A League of their Own.  That was his comeback film.

Bachelor Party, Production budget = 6 million, U.S. Gross = 38.4 million

The Money Pit, Production budget = 10 million, U.S. Gross = 37 million

So why are they not hits, just because they didn’t make blockbuster numbers?

Also A League of their own? He was already a hot commodity with movies like Big and Turner and Hooch prior to that film.

He had a flop (Bonfire of the Vanities), and a disappointment prior to that (Joe Versus the Volcano), but Hanks was not washed up when he did a League of their own.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic
  • Like 1

John Wayne's career was a disaster too.  After Stagecoach every film he did bombed.   :ph34r:

John Wayne’s career did get almost ruined after the Big Trail failed, before Stagecoach he spent several years doing B movies and supporting roles.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

Critically acclaimed?! Not back then! "Cult icon", sure, but that's not the same thing.

Well, Cry Baby was more mainstream than his trashier pre-1985 movies. He had some name recognition among critics. 76% on RT. Ebert giving it 3 out of 4 stars. It was not some obscure underground flick that critics snobbed or ignored to rediscover 20 years after. What I say is that Hemsworth doesn't have something as interesting as Cry Baby on his early resume to draw leggit comparison to Depp at the same point of their career.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

Hanks did Joe vs the Volcano and one of the biggest busts of the decade, Bonfire of the Vanities.  No one would hire him after that.  It took him two years to do another film.  A League of Their Own started his renaissance.  

• Like 2