#ED

Gotham | FOX

I'm starting to lose patience with this show. I can't stand the Fish Mooney scenes, and it seems like those are 1/3 of the show. The scenes with Bruce were much better this week, but that wasn't enough to make it a compelling episode.

I'll probably watch again next week, but I'm not optimistic this show will be able to keep me hooked.

I mostly have found Mooney to be uninteresting, but occasionally the actress who plays her can save her scenes (like last night).

The problem for this show is that it relies so much on plot that it either sinks or swims based on how good its case of the week is.

I think one of the bigger problems is that it's a prequel. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying prequel=automatically bad, but current plot threads in the show really aren't suited to the format. For example, Penguin working under the noses of the people who tried to have him killed and working his way up the ranks should be an tense affair with a constant fear of him getting caught. But already know, since it's a prequel, that he'll survive and make a name for himself in the underworld. So no tension there. Same goes for the relationship between Barbara and Gordon as well as Gordon being investigated by IA. We know that Gordon and Barbara will stay together and that Gordon won't (permanently) be arrested so there's no tension there either. 

See for a prequel, it's less about what is going to happen and more about how it happens that interests audiences. We know Anakin Skywalker survives the prequel trilogy but we want to see how he becomes Darth Vader. That's why Penguin's story in the first episode was interesting. We knew he would survive but we weren't sure how he would. That's the problem with the show. It's focusing more on plot threads we know will resolve themselves instead of exploring how the characters became the way they were in the Batman mythos.

Still holding out hope for HYDRA though.

• Like 3

Solid start in Australia although it did lose over half of the audience from the lead in show.

The Block: The Winner Announced has netted Nine its biggest single audience of the year at a whopping 2.76m viewers. It makes the show one of the biggest audiences of the year, higher than NRL Grand Final (2.6m), My Kitchen Rules Grand Final (2.6m) and State of Origin (2.58m) on metro audiences.

The Block is a reality show about an old office building being redeveloped into 5 units by five 2-person teams(mostly couples or siblings).  The winner is determined by a final auction.

Aside from The Block‘s bumper finale, Gotham premiered to 1.24m / 896,000.  On the same night new episodes of Castle were 776,000 / 540,000, Modern Family (461,000 / 368,000), Scorpion (415,000) and  NCIS:New Orleans (410,000).

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2014/10/sunday-12-october-2014.html

Gotham down to 626,000 now in Australia.  I don't think it will last in this timeslot.

This show needs to just focus on the established Gotham Crime families.

I'm over the flashing Neon lights that scream BATMAN, BATMAN every episode.

Catwoman last week, in broad daylight, sliding down the vans roof to pick pocket a guy served no purpose. None at all expect to scream---CATWOMAN(in case you forgot)!!

That said I'm fine with Penguin, at least he appears young 20-ish. Focus on Falcone, Maroni, Fish for now. Bring in The Roman and Zucco later. There is too much Batman going on in a show with no Batman. 

Well I guess Montoya and the black detective who I don't think they actually named yet (if they did it was a throwaway comment) must feel kinda stupid right now.

Looks like Victor Zsasz shows up next week.

Yeah good episode mostly the ending segment that should lead to some interesting stuff

I don't know, I felt like dropping it until the last 10 minutes. I mean, it was pure shit, no other way to put it. And then the end was great and I'm at least a bit curious now.

But I'm not sure if I want 30 minutes of torture and 10 minutes of "yeah, that's intriguing" every week. So let's list the stuff that's awful, shall we:

• The police captain - This isn't a character, she's there just so that she can yell, be disappointed and give deadlines to Gordon and Bullock. The three scenes she gets per episode are all eye-rollers without exception.
  • E. Nygma aka the fucking question mark on a cup  :rolleyes: I hate it with a passion when shows put 'cute' music when something is supposed to be funny and the scene in the archive is probably the worst thing since August: Osage County. Also, we get that he's the Riddler, we got it in the fucking pilot...
  • Gordon. Yep, the lead fucking character. It's not that he's annoying or anything, it's just that there's nothing to him. Seriously, I don't care that those morons who don't know how to arrest people properly are going to get you, not because I know it won't stick but because you suck.
  • The detectives that arrested Gordon, I didn't bother to catch their names - Have these people ever seen a good cop show? You don't go around arresting people for murder without a body, especially if they're cops. General rule: if you have people going up against your protagonist, don't have them suck at their job.
  • Gordon's fiance - dafuq?
  • The cases of the week - I've liked various versions of the CSIs over the time and I don't have anything against these concepts in a show but not only they didn't do anything that we haven't seen before in other shows, their cases are mostly similar to one another. And it's only been 6 episodes. It doesn't help that they try to go for scary but they keep using jump scares AND JUMP SCARES AREN'T SCARY!
  • Fish Mooney - thank the Goat she wasn't in this episode.
  • The Goat - dafuq?
  • The scene with Catwoman and Bruce - Let's put aside that that scene had no purpose and led nowhere, why the fuck does Hollywood think that people need to move when they're sleeping. We get it, they're asleep, if they wake up, they'll wake up, don't show them move and not wake up even though a person is standing right next to them. It's so annoying.

Things that work:

• Bullock - this guy is fucking fantastic, can we please cancel this shit and get Donal Logue a good show. Please.
  • Penguin even though his awesome level subsided due to more exposure to shit writing.
  • Nope, that's it.

Sorry for the long post but as a fan of Batman and Bruno Heller I was pretty excited for this show, and while the first few episodes weren't really great, they showed potential and in the course of 6 episodes it went nowhere. I don't think there's a character that is fully formed yet (Flash, for example, has at least 4 already), the cases are disposable and there's no sense of fun. And if I want to torture myself for 40 minutes, I'll rather open the Interstellar RT page and hit F5 for that time.

1 more episode, Heller (it's funny, he's listed as 'developed by', not creator. Should have known something was fishy there)

• Community Manager

1 more episode, Heller (it's funny, he's listed as 'developed by', not creator. Should have known something was fishy there)

There is literally nothing fishy about him being listed as "developed by". It's because Bruce Heller didn't create Jim Gordon, Bruce Wayne, many of the other characters, or the city of Gotham. "Developed By" is a "created by" credit when the work is an adaption.

There is literally nothing fishy about him being listed as "developed by". It's because Bruce Heller didn't create Jim Gordon, Bruce Wayne, many of the other characters, or the city of Gotham. "Developed By" is a "created by" credit when the work is an adaption.

Yeah, but it doesn't look like he gives a shit about it, more like he's just a hired gun that gets a paycheck for listening to the stupid heads from the top floor saying: "yeah, yeah, make it darker, grittier, people love that, right?" or some bullshit like that.

• Community Manager

Yeah, but it doesn't look like he gives a shit about it, more like he's just a hired gun that gets a paycheck for listening to the stupid heads from the top floor saying: "yeah, yeah, make it darker, grittier, people love that, right?" or some bullshit like that.

That may or may not be true (sometimes even talented creatives can stumble) but whether or not it is, the credit would be the same.

• E. Nygma aka the fucking question mark on a cup  :rolleyes: I hate it with a passion when shows put 'cute' music when something is supposed to be funny and the scene in the archive is probably the worst thing since August: Osage County. Also, we get that he's the Riddler, we got it in the fucking pilot...

His scenes were genuinely awful in this episode. I actually didn't even hate the character because for all of his issues, they kept him on the side. But this week, by integrating him more into the episode, they generally tortured the audience.