Dementeleus

Weekend estimates-on PG 11. Cloudy 2@35M

$11m is good for Cloudy, I imagine it'll have a good bump on Saturday. Nikki's predicting a $44m weekend which would mean it takes HT's record for highest September opening. Sony has secured that slot for the next four years with Equalizer in 2014, Hotel Transylvania 2 in 2015 and two untitled animated films in 2016 and 2017.

That is some very smart scheduling on Sony's part. Equalizer will easily have 20+ M OW with Denzel's track record. Hotel Transylvania can easily make 40+ OW maybe even break the 50M record in 2015.

• Like 1

FRIDAY 10:30 PM UPDATEA total 4 major releases hit the box office today (Ron Howard’s Rush expanded) giving something for everyone to see at the domestic box office. Total moviegoing looks around $110M, which is even with last year. For now here’s the Top Ten list with refined numbers and full analysis coming later:

1. Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2 3D (Sony) NEW [Runs 4,001] PGFriday $10.0M, Weekend $38.0M

2. Rush (Imagine/Universal) Week 2 [Runs 2,297] RFriday $3.8M, Weekend $11.3M, Cume $11.6M

3. Prisoners (Alcon/Warner Bros) Week 2 [Runs 3,290] RFriday $3.3M (-57%), Weekend $10.6M, Cume $38.4M

4. Baggage Claim (Fox Searchlight) NEW [Runs 2,027] PG13Friday $3.2M, Weekend $9.1M

4. Don Jon (Relativity) NEW [Runs 2,422] RFriday $3.1M, Weekend $8.5M

6. Insidious: Chapter 2 (FilmDistrict) Week 3 [Runs 3,120] PG13Friday $1.9M, Weekend $5.8M, Cume $68.7M

7. The Family (Relativity) Week 3 [Runs 2,894] RFriday $1.1M, Weekend $3.6M, Cume $31.6M

8. We’re The Millers (New Line/Warner Bros) Week 8 [Runs 2,405] RFriday $895K, Weekend $2.9M, Cume $142.5M

9. Instructions Not Included (Lionsgate) Week 5 [Runs 948] PG13Friday $749K, Weekend $2.8M, Cume $38.1M

10. Lee Daniels’ The Butler (Weinstein) Week 7 [Runs 2,062] PG13Friday $697K, Weekend $2.4M, Cume $110.4M

14. Metallica Through The Never 3D (PIcturehouse) NEW [Runs 308] RFriday $625K, Weekend $1.5M

Don Jon 's opening is the reason why distributors shy away from wide release format for off-beat movies. Relativity bought it for only $4 million but the minimum P&A budget for a 2400 theater release is probably around $25 million so it needs to make $50 million to break even and it won't even come close to that number in theatrical release. I think it will ultimately make some money after VOD etc. but the movie distribution economics is so fucked up  when a movie that cost around $5 million to produce can't break even until it has made $50 million at the box office.

• Like 2

Don Jon 's opening is the reason why distributors shy away from wide release format for off-beat movies. Relativity bought it for only $4 million but the minimum P&A budget for a 2400 theater release is probably around $25 million so it needs to make $50 million to break even and it won't even come close to that number in theatrical release. I think it will ultimately make some money after VOD etc. but the movie distribution economics is so fucked up  when a movie that cost around $5 million to produce can't break even until it has made $50 million at the box office.

Don Jon had a shit load of marketing. Ads were everywhere. Hopefully people now will stop saying JGL is a draw! 

Don Jon had a shit load of marketing. Ads were everywhere. Hopefully people now will stop saying JGL is a draw!

Who says that? I like the guy and I think that's a ridiculous statement :lol:
  • Like 2

Right. Many people trend to ignore P&A.

That doesn't seem right. 4 x2=8 + 25=33m. I thought double the production budget plus p&a was the formula.

^^^ The formula is double the production budget for mid to big budget studio movies. Say , if a $60 million movie makes $120 million worldwide then it will probably break even after every revenue stream (VOD, home media, TV rights) is accounted for. That formula doesn't work for small budget wide release movies because the P&A budget is so much more than the production budget. Also in the case of small budget movies multiple distributors are involved. Relativity only bought the US rights so they won't see a dime of the money the movie makes elsewhere. The movie is already a success for the producers. Not so much for the distributor.

Well fuck. Cloudy will reach 40M but I am not sure about the record. Adam Sandler does matter when it comes to family stuff. Sony must have high hopes for Hotel Transylvania 2.

Prisoners dropping way more than I was expecting. Rush and Baggage Claim ok. Don Jon is another flop for JGL.