Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

I'm waiting for someone to tell me Orci is writing this as well so I can post a nuclear explosion gif. :P

Eventually, it's going to happen. Everyone will come to the realization that directors have control of the script. They can rewrite it until they're blue in the face. Even if they're aren't normally a credited screenwriter. Now, imagine a director that IS a screenwriter.
  • Like 2

The directing wasn't the problem with Tron, the screenplay was.

I agree. Kosinski directed the shit out of that movie. It's one of the few movies I can always watch and enjoy for the visuals and music, despite the script being so weak.

I disagree. Kosinski didn't get particularly good performances from anyone, and the movie overall didn't have great pacing. And, as rallax said, a director, at the end of the day, has control over everything. He (or she) can put their stamp on every aspect of the production. Once the shooting script is delivered, a writer has little to no control over what happens. They may be retained to rewrite moments, or new scenes, or to change something on the fly, but they have zero control over how it's shot, where it's put, what the performances are like, everything except what was written on the page (and that can be ignored). Unless the director literally gets kicked off the show and replaced, they have control. Yes, they have to listen to and deal with questions and concerns from the studio, and learn to incorporate/ignore/convince as needed. But that's also part of their responsibility and part of their task as director.

Kosinski's visuals were decent (though I don't think he used 3D space particularly well), and the score was fantastic. Everything else about the movie was pretty subpar.

• Like 3

Surely there are tons if directors that would love to direct a Star Trek movie. I don't get how Orci can be the only or best choice

I said the same thing about....Michael B Jordan as Johnny Storm. :ph34r:

Somethings are rigged to be by TPTB and you get a story about how "great and obvious a choice" the person is that was chosen.

• Like 1

I know bullshit is bullshit. That's why I asked you about your bullshit.

Michael B Jordan is a professional actor hired to act. Orci is a writer hired to direct

• Like 1