Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

21 minutes ago, philyb said:

That's stupid. Sulu isn't gay, he has a wife and kid in the other movies.

This doesn't really deserve a reply, but...

So what?  He has a husband and a kid here, too.  ;-)

This is an "alternative universe."  Things can -- and should -- happen differently.  I'm happy they are going their own way, rather than blatantly lifting whole segments of scripts from Star Trek II, as they did with STID.

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Not to mention, I'm sure there are plenty of people who've had straight relationships before coming out.

It should surprise no one that Sulu is gay. But I've seen people get bend out of shape over more obvious things.

4 hours ago, philyb said:

That's stupid. Sulu isn't gay, he has a wife and kid in the other movies.

Actually he just has a daughter no mention of wife or girlfriend.  In fact Sulu is the only character of significance to never have a romantic scene or physical interaction with the opposite sex in the 79 episodes and 6 films of original Trek,. The closest you can get is a scene in Trek V that has Sulu and Chekov following a heavily muscled female Klingon warrior, and he smirks after Chekov comments about her wonderful muscles,  that's the closest you can come to even showing an interest in a female in all of trek In what they call the prime universe.  In the mirror universe Sulu hits on Uhura, but we have been shown that the sexual identity isn't always the same between mirror universe and prime so that really can't count.

• Like 2

I understand they are having a whole 50th anniversary of Star Trek panel with Shattner etc, too.

I don't know how much that adds to the presentation for today's Star Trek fans.

Edited by trifle

5 hours ago, Macleod said:

This doesn't really deserve a reply, but...

So what?  He has a husband and a kid here, too.  ;-)

This is an "alternative universe."  Things can -- and should -- happen differently.  I'm happy they are going their own way, rather than blatantly lifting whole segments of scripts from Star Trek II, as they did with STID.

It's not important, but it is still silly. Sulu wasn't gay.

33 minutes ago, philyb said:

It's not important, but it is still silly. Sulu wasn't gay.

While he was never conceived as a gay character by the writers back in the 60's, there is no on screen material indicating he was straight.  Again Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Chekov, Rand and Chapel are all directly shown to have relationships with members of the opposite sex.  Uhura in the 1st aired episode gets briefly stalked by an alien that takes the form of what you are attracted too, and it's a man, so whil she is never shown in a relation we do know what she is attracted to.

But not Sulu.  Sulu is the one character that is a blank slate as far as what the audience is shown regarding his sexuality.  

George Takei Reacts to Gay Sulu News: "I Think It's Really Unfortunate"

" Takei first learned of Sulu's recent same-sex leanings last year, when Cho called him to reveal the big news. Takei tried to convince him to make a new character gay instead. "I told him, 'Be imaginative and create a character who has a history of being gay, rather than Sulu, who had been straight all this time, suddenly being revealed as being closeted.'" (Takei had enough negative experiences inside the Hollywood closet, he says, and strongly feels a character who came of age in the 23rd Century would never find his way inside one.) "

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-reacts-gay-sulu-909154

10 minutes ago, MuffinMan said:

George Takei Reacts to Gay Sulu News: "I Think It's Really Unfortunate"

" Takei first learned of Sulu's recent same-sex leanings last year, when Cho called him to reveal the big news. Takei tried to convince him to make a new character gay instead. "I told him, 'Be imaginative and create a character who has a history of being gay, rather than Sulu, who had been straight all this time, suddenly being revealed as being closeted.'" (Takei had enough negative experiences inside the Hollywood closet, he says, and strongly feels a character who came of age in the 23rd Century would never find his way inside one.) "

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-reacts-gay-sulu-909154

yup that's one way to look at it, but really these movies should not be taken so seriously 

The whole point of establishing a different universe is so you can do whatever you want with the characters. The Sulu from

the OS show and movies is a different character than this one -- same with Kirk, Spock, etc. Having changes in this universe doesn't invalidate or replace the originals. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The whole point of establishing a different universe is so you can do whatever you want with the characters. The Sulu from

the OS show and movies is a different character than this one -- same with Kirk, Spock, etc. Having changes in this universe doesn't invalidate or replace the originals. 

I don't really care but in a technical sense something like this couldn't change in the alternate universe.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

While true, I think it's deeper than that. A lot of actors used to be afraid of coming out the closet for many reasons but one of them being that they were afraid of being typecast in a limited role. That's because Hollywood believes (or used to believe) that nobody would buy that a gay actor could possibly play a straight man (Neil Patrick Harris broke the mold here). What does it say that a straight character from the original series played by an actor who was originally played by an actor who later came out of the closet....is now going to be gay?

I don't really care whether Sulu is gay or not in the new movies but I could see where Taikei is coming from.