Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

14 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I don't really care but in a technical sense something like this couldn't change in the alternate universe.

=====Wrong.

The break in the timeline occurs before the birth of Sulu in the Prime Universe, thus just to be anal, there is no way of knowing if the same two parents produced this Sulu.  There is absolutely the possibility of having a different genetic pool for this character.  The only characters who we know based on age would be Spock, mcCoy, Scotty and Kirk.  Sulu, Uhura, and Chekov were born after the time change and thus could have had a different parent.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

.....That's because Hollywood believes (or used to believe) that nobody would buy that a gay actor could possibly play a straight man.....

Oh come on.  Old time silver screen legends were IRL gay and played straight romantic leads from practically the time Hollywood started filming movies.  The public bought them as straight, and the studios knew it.  PR types just hid the truth from the public.

As to whether Sulu is gay, I don't really care, but part of that is that he isn't the main focus of my reasons for watching Star Trek, so I don't mind his character being tinkered with, and someone on here who knows a lot more background than I do is saying it was never clear if he was straight to begin with, so fine.  But I admit that if they did that with a character where part of their personality was clearly being straight, I might well be miffed.  It's like my getting it that people don't like Mystique played differently in Singer XMen movies.  Personally, I watch the movies for Jennifer Lawrence, so I like the way she is portrayed.  But I never read the comics and do know that I don't like it when characters I think I know, and like, are messed with.

1 hour ago, MuffinMan said:

George Takei Reacts to Gay Sulu News: "I Think It's Really Unfortunate"

" Takei first learned of Sulu's recent same-sex leanings last year, when Cho called him to reveal the big news. Takei tried to convince him to make a new character gay instead. "I told him, 'Be imaginative and create a character who has a history of being gay, rather than Sulu, who had been straight all this time, suddenly being revealed as being closeted.'" (Takei had enough negative experiences inside the Hollywood closet, he says, and strongly feels a character who came of age in the 23rd Century would never find his way inside one.) "

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-reacts-gay-sulu-909154

Great example of Takei being wrong.  Actors across the board know that the bible for a character and what blanks the artists fills in themselves to help inform a character (I mean especially one with so little in background) are always up to be changed by the writers.  While its absolutely true that Sulu was not created as a gay or bisexual role, and that Takei didn't imagine the character as a gay or bisexual male.  There is literally no onscreen material that would be impacted by the character being gay or bisexual.  None.  I mean does he think his character was asexual?  Because that was what was showed on screen.  Being in the closest implies you hide your behavior either from yourself or yourself and others.  that isn't what was shown on screen at all.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
52 minutes ago, trifle said:

Oh come on.  Old time silver screen legends were IRL gay and played straight romantic leads from practically the time Hollywood started filming movies.  The public bought them as straight, and the studios knew it.  PR types just hid the truth from the public.

Me: "Actors were afraid of coming out the closest because Hollywood didn't think that general audiences would buy a gay actor playing a straight character."

You: "Oh come on. People bought gay actors playing straight characters all the time. They just stayed in the closet."

I don't see you disagreeing despite your "oh come on."

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Me: "Actors were afraid of coming out the closest because Hollywood didn't think that general audiences would buy a gay actor playing a straight character."

You: "Oh come on. People bought gay actors playing straight characters all the time. They just stayed in the closet."

I don't see you disagreeing despite your "oh come on."

You are right, I read what you said wrong.  I thought you were saying studios didn't think the public would believe gay actors in straight roles.

2 hours ago, Spaghetti said:

I'm starting to get a bit more excited for this. It may be a sleeper hit over the summer, a good scenario could be Rogue Nation numbers if it succeeds critically.

I agree, but it's weird because I feel the same towards Bourne, and Rogue Nation didn't have to deal with a Suicide Squad right after it, so asking for two Rogue Nations might be too much

Anyway, awesome to hear about Sulu tbh

Apparently George Takei also thinks making new Sulu gay, "just because I am in real life" is a dumb reason. Just create a wholly new gay character.

Except Takei wasn't overjoyed. He had never asked for Sulu to be gay. In fact, he'd much prefer that he stay straight. "I’m delighted that there’s a gay character," he tells The Hollywood Reporter. "Unfortunately, it’s a twisting of Gene’s creation, to which he put in so much thought. I think it’s really unfortunate." ...... Takei tried to convince him to make a new character gay instead. "I told him, 'Be imaginative and create a character who has a history of being gay, rather than Sulu, who had been straight all this time, suddenly being revealed as being closeted.'"

Edited by Captain Craig

1 hour ago, Captain Craig said:

Apparently George Takei also thinks making new Sulu gay, "just because I am in real life" is a dumb reason. Just create a wholly new gay character.

Simon Pegg had an excellent response to this, which I completely agree with.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jul/08/simon-pegg-defends-gay-sulu-after-george-takei-criticism

“I have huge love and respect for George Takei, his heart, courage and humour are an inspiration,” he wrote. “However, with regards to his thoughts on our Sulu, I must respectfully disagree with him.”

Pegg expressed sympathy with Takei’s sentiment that mainstream gay heroes were belatedly coming to the big screen, but rejected the idea that this meant a new character needed creating.

“He’s right, it is unfortunate, it’s unfortunate that the screen version of the most inclusive, tolerant universe in science fiction hasn’t featured an LGBT character until now. We could have introduced a new gay character, but he or she would have been primarily defined by their sexuality, seen as the ‘gay character’, rather than simply for who they are, and isn’t that tokenism?

Pegg continued: “Justin Lin, Doug Jung and I loved the idea of it being someone we already knew because the audience have a pre-existing opinion of that character as a human being, unaffected by any prejudice. Their sexual orientation is just one of many personal aspects, not the defining characteristic. Also, the audience would infer that there has been an LGBT presence in the Trek Universe from the beginning (at least in the Kelvin timeline), that a gay hero isn’t something new or strange. It’s also important to note that at no point do we suggest that our Sulu was ever closeted, why would he need to be? It’s just hasn’t come up before.”

• Like 5

On 7/1/2016 at 8:05 PM, filmlover said:

Without saying anything spoilery, how big is Yelchin's role in this? Because I know I'm gonna get sad again every time he's on screen.

It is his biggest role yet in the new films.  

14 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

It's an example of more dumb Millennial PC shit that could've just as easily been accomplished by establishing new characters in the TREK Universe to do this with instead of doing this with already established characters.. Hollywood is simply trying too hard on this PC crap.. 1st Ghostbusters, now Star Trek.. I don't expect people around here to agree with this sentiment, nor do I care, but I hope this movie fails miserably as a result of this...

I hope one day this accepted as normal and not as trying to be pc

• Like 1