Neo

Point Break | December 25, 2015 | China Release on December 3rd, 3 weeks before the US.

This is not being released by WB OS. So they already recovered part of the budget.

Wait... Lionsgate???????????

They don't distribute Hunger Games in OS territories and they thought this was a good investment?

:rofl:

And this isn't produced by WB either, this is an Alcon production. Alcon's second big bomb in a row by the looks of it after Transcendence.

Edited by grim22

Wait... Lionsgate???????????

They don't distribute Hunger Games in OS territories and they thought this was a good investment?

:rofl:

And this isn't produced by WB either, this is an Alcon production. Alcon's second big bomb in a row by the looks of it after Transcendence.

Lionsgate doesn't release movies anywhere OS except the UK. It was sold to local distributors everywhere.

Lionsgate doesn't release movies anywhere OS except the UK. It was sold to local distributors everywhere.

The movie was sold at Cannes in 2013, one of 3 sold by Lionsgate back then. The article gives a much better synopsis of #Mortdecai than any of the marketing did

Lionsgate has had a bumper AFM. In addition to Point Break, Wachsberger also sold out its two other biggest market titles: Alex Proyas' epic adventure film, Gods of Egypt, starring Gerard Butler;Game of ThronesNikolaj Coster-WaldauBrenton Thwaites and Geoffrey Rush; and Mortdecai, in which Johnny Depp plays a debonair art dealer and part-time rogue who goes on a globe-trotting adventure with wife Gwyneth Paltrow in a race to recover a stolen painting rumored to contain the secrets of long lost Nazi gold. Ewan McGregorOlivia Munn and Paul Bettany also star. David Koepp (Premium Rush) is directing.

Point Break's dazzling success at AFM is all the more impressive when you consider the film's director, Ericson Core, has just one feature directing credit to his name -- the 2006 football movieInvincible, which stars Mark Wahlberg. But Core knows how to deliver wow-'em visuals (he was the cinematographer on the first Fast and the Furious film) and a pitch reel produced for AFM apparently blew buyers away.

“Buyers were sold on the high concept of the film,” Wachsberger tells The Hollywood Reporter. “This is going to be a much larger scale film than the first one.”

• Like 2

Grim's post really confused me... I was like, 'Uhh, pretty sure Lionsgate distributes THG here', thanks for clarifying :)

The movie was sold at Cannes in 2013, one of 3 sold by Lionsgate back then. The article gives a much better synopsis of #Mortdecai than any of the marketing did

#mortdecai one of Lionsgate's biggest titles  :wub:

Edited by Chewy
  • Like 2

What grim's post is saying is that foreign presales probably covered a good chunk (if not all) of the film's budget. It'll end up making a profit.

On paper, it looks like #Mortdecai didn't hurt Lionsgate a lot either. I'm guessing they got a lot of presales just on Depp's name. If only those poor distributors knew what they were getting into.

What happened to all the surfing? The ex-presidents? I didn't love the original Point Break but...

I don't know about this one. I thought that anyone would be an improvement over Keanu, but this new guy looks even worse IMO. The whole movie just looks dull at the moment. I hope it's good, and I'll still see it (if I'm not seeing TFA for the 9th time) but I'm unsure about it at this point. That poster was better than this entire trailer.

I don't understand why you guys are so quick to write this off as a bomb though.

It's ugly as sin, has zero stars, tries to sell the "athletes committing crimes" thing seriously, and is opening on Christmas

• Like 1

What happened to all the surfing? The ex-presidents? I didn't love the original Point Break but...

I don't know about this one. I thought that anyone would be an improvement over Keanu, but this new guy looks even worse IMO. The whole movie just looks dull at the moment. I hope it's good, and I'll still see it (if I'm not seeing TFA for the 9th time) but I'm unsure about it at this point. That poster was better than this entire trailer.

Keanu is underappreciated. He was great in the original PB.

• Like 8