Neo

Point Break | December 25, 2015 | China Release on December 3rd, 3 weeks before the US.

I love the skydiving scene in the original Point Break, but there's no doubt it was a surfing movie. It was all about that attitude.

So let's hope this movie does the surfing justice, and isn't just one single "hey, let's surf some big waves" and then 5 minutes later they never surf again.

That said, the wingsuit scenes in that featurette above are "holy crap"-worthy. Incredible.

I just hope this movie has the right attitude.

Man, this looks boring as hell. Everything has to be big these days. You can't just make a mid-budget action movie that involves surfing, you have to turn it into a giant, Fast & Furious-like spectacle. And this f**king trend with the dull and lifeless cinematography needs to end asap. I mean, add some f**king color in there!

• Like 6

Just found out today Delroy Lindo is in this.  That puts this on a must see list.

The new story is insane.  The stunts they look to pull off here are incredible.  Not sure how good it will be, but it looks like we are in for one hell of a ride.

I guess the negative reactions are from the fans of the old movie. I havent seen it and this looks pretty cool to me. Asked some friends and they think it looks great also. 

That's true. The original movie is a classic that has aged really well and there is no reason to make a new movie called Point Break. They would've faced less hostility if they named the movie something else and not have the two lead character called Utah and Bodhi. 

I have to say I don't like the casting of Bodhi.  Swayze was incredibly athletic looking, Ramirez looks unathletic.

I don't like the casting of either Bodhi or Utah. Swayze's Bodhi was a charismatic mastermind and Keanu's Utah was a determined Greenhorn. Fast and Furious did a much better job of casting Vin Diesel as the charismatic mastermind and Paul Walker as a stand-in for Keanu. 

Edited by TLK
  • Like 5

That's true. The original movie is a classic that has aged really well and there is no reason to make a new movie called Point Break. They would've faced less hostility if they named the movie something else and not have the two titled character called Utah and Bodhi. 

I don't like the casting of either Bodhi or Utah. Swayze's Bodhi was a charismatic mastermind and Keanu's Utah was a determined Greenhorn. Fast and Furious did a much better job of casting Vin Diesel as the charismatic mastermind and Paul Walker as a stand-in for Keanu. 

Agreed, I don't see much sense in retaining the actual POINT BREAK specifics. Just call it something else and riff on the same general concept. That's what they're doing anyway, and it's not like calling it POINT BREAK is gonna make the old fans get excited.

• Like 3

Agreed, I don't see much sense in retaining the actual POINT BREAK specifics. Just call it something else and riff on the same general concept. That's what they're doing anyway, and it's not like calling it POINT BREAK is gonna make the old fans get excited.

I think the movie would have a lot less attention if everything else stayed the same (same trailer, same Bracey/Ramirez, etc) but the main characters got different names and the movie was called Extreme Heist or something like that.

Calling it Point Break does seem to have gotten it some attention.

• Like 2

I think the movie would have a lot less attention if everything else stayed the same (same trailer, same Bracey/Ramirez, etc) but the main characters got different names and the movie was called Extreme Heist or something like that.

Calling it Point Break does seem to have gotten it some attention.

But the attention leads to direct comparisons to the original and its stars, in which it pales. Edited by RaidensSword

Have you seen the list of consultants on the movie?  They are all extreme sports guys, so right there this looks like they tried to make the stunts as thrilling as possible.  The trailer won me over.

Keanu Reeves is a great actor, always liked him.

Depends on the material. He is perfect as Johnny Utah. That name is inseparable from him.

Neo & The Matrix Trilogy are iconic enough but to me Utah is Keanu, Keanu is Utah.

This remake may have some amazing extreme-sport footage but Point Break is one of those

movies that defy the rules of remake or reboot. 

Reboot to your doom

Remake & get ...dead