ecstasy

Monday 11/11/2013 Numbers-TDW -$10,417,194

did I miss something? IM3 multiplier was 2.3

Multipliers are usually lower when the film opens massively.

Looking at IM3 weekly drops, it weren't that bad.

-58%

-48%

-38%

-59%

-31%

Now, let's translate this drops to Thor 2 projecting a first week of 110M

46M

24M

15M

6M

4M

After week 6, following IM3 legs, it will be at 205M. That's a x2.4 multiplier, better than IM3 and without late legs.

Quick hypothesis about Tuesday #'s  (this will be quickly proven or disproven tomorrow).  

While Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. isn't exactly a monster hit, it does seem to be drawing around 7 million viewers each Tuesday -- it would only take about 3% of those viewers to make up the difference between Skyfall's Tuesday #'s and Thor's Tuesday #'s. 

I'm not saying that the #'s would necessarily be the same without the show, but if 3% or more of those folks would've watched the Marvel movie on Tuesday night and decided, instead, that they wanted to catch the Marvel TV show, then we'd be seeing a slightly larger dip than normal. 

Just need to wait and see if there's an atypical jump on Wednesday. 

• Like 5

Quick hypothesis about Tuesday #'s  (this will be quickly proven or disproven tomorrow).  

While Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. isn't exactly a monster hit, it does seem to be drawing around 7 million viewers each Tuesday -- it would only take about 3% of those viewers to make up the difference between Skyfall's Tuesday #'s and Thor's Tuesday #'s. 

I'm not saying that the #'s would necessarily be the same without the show, but if 3% or more of those folks would've watched the Marvel movie on Tuesday night and decided, instead, that they wanted to catch the Marvel TV show, then we'd be seeing a slightly larger dip than normal. 

Very interesting factor

Welcome to the forums!

Edited by stripe

Welcome to the forums. Even though this seems out of left field thanks for bringing it up.

because Catching Fire has more male appeal than Twilight does which can cross over with Thor. 

Reviews indicate Catching Fire also seems to be a stronger film quality wise.

Larger, more diverse fan base than Twilight + strong critical reviews = Poor late legs for Thor.

When TDKR debuted, TASM made an additional 44M+.  Any thoughts as to how much Thor will make beyond its first two weeks of release?

SHIELD had it's lowest rating so far with a 2.2 in the demo (down over 50% from the premiere episode of 4.7) With most of the die-hards watching it "On demand" I really doubt if it had a huge impact yesterday. But we will have to wait for Wednesday numbers like you said

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/11/13/tv-ratings-tuesday-marvels-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-hits-low-chicago-fire-returns-up-person-of-interest-the-originals-supernatural-rise/215372/

On ABC, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. scored a series low 2.2 down 12 percent from last week’s 2.5 adults 18-49 rating.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

Reviews indicate Catching Fire also seems to be a stronger film quality wise. Larger, more diverse fan base than Twilight + strong critical reviews = Poor late legs for Thor. When TDKR debuted, TASM made an additional 44M+.  Any thoughts as to how much Thor will make beyond its first two weeks of release?

Not a fair comparison, TDKR and TASM appeal to the same audience. Catching Fire, whether people like to admit it or not appeals to the twilight crowd. It will still effect thor, but not as much as TDKR affected Spidey.