Films

Weekend estimates:Thor 2 $38.4m, TBMH $30.6m

Thor 2 is a success no doubt about it. However, its performance might cause people to reconsider The Avengers Effect a bit. I see people predicting giant numbers for movies like GOTG and Ant Man just because they are "Marvel"

This I agree with, lol.

Thor 2 is a success no doubt about it. However, its performance might cause people to reconsider The Avengers Effect a bit. I see people predicting giant numbers for movies like GOTG and Ant Man just because they are "Marvel"

GOTG and Ant-Man are not just "Marvel", they're "Disney".  Disney's marketing and merchandising clout will make these characters pay off in box office and ancillary revenue.

• Like 1

So far Thor 2 is very similar to X2. Similar opening weekend and similar first week total (though Thor 2 with a slightly higher second weekend fall). Both movies had no competition second weekend but third weekend faced massive competition (Matrix Reloaded for  X2 and Catching Fire of Thor), then a holiday weekend after that (Memorial Day for X2 and Thanksgiving for Thor) Skyfall had very strong holds after second weekend, but I don't think Thor will have that longevity while Thanksgiving will help Thor out a lot, post Thanksgiving drop is usually harsh and right after that it faces The Hobbit The Desolation of Smaug, So yeah it looks like about 210m seems where it will end up

I could not agree more. People like Gitesh who are predicting $250m are ignoring the weak weekdays and post-Thanksgiving drops, not to mention two behemoths going after the exact same audiences. Still, $200m+ is fantastic.
  • Like 2

Ant Man will have the rare advantage to be released while TA2 is still in theaters though.

Disney could very well play the double features and re-expansion of TA2 with Ant Man's own release. 

This can give an unusal bump to it if the link to TA2 aftermath is well established and advertised while TA2 is still in theaters.

Edited by Ent

Ant Man will have the rare advantage to be released while TA2 is still in theaters though.

Disney could very well play the double features and re-expansion of TA2 with Ant Man's own release. 

This can give an unusal bump to it if the link to TA2 aftermath is well established and advertised while TA2 is still in theaters.

Nope. TA2, big as it may be, will not still be in theaters when Ant-Man comes out. 3 months later, especially with the log-jam of releases in June and all the major theaters going to Supes-Bats 2 weeks before will have TA2 in less than a 100 sites at that time.

Edited by grim22

Nope. TA2, big as it may be, will not still be in theaters when Ant-Man comes out. 3 months later, especially with the log-jam of releases in June and all the major theaters going to Supes-Bats 2 weeks before will have TA2 in less than a 100 sites at that time.

lol.

It will.  Ant Man will be released 15 weeks after TA2. 

TA1 stayed 22 weeks and was still airing when TASM and then TDKR were releasedAgain, that's the right time for Disney to expand it during Ant Man release and bump this movie results at least during its OW.

Edited by Ent
  • Like 2