Neo

Transformers: The Last Knight | 6/21/2017 | Big Budget, Weak OW?

We went from Schwarzenegger (best bodybuilder of all times) to prepubescent girls as action heroes. 

Some (many) think its suspect and nefarious to point that out and try to ridicule you with infantile memes. 

Oh well...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

I admit I grow weary and a bit annoyed at the cliched action hero girl, if only because the ladies portraying them are actually never badass. That's the problem. It'd be different if you showed me Ronda Rousey kicking ass in a movie because I seriously believe that. Arnold was a badass, in real life, so it's not hard to imagine. A lot of times, these things defy physical explanation to the point of absurdity. I have no issue with Rey in The Force Awakens because it's not earth, it's the GFFA, so that means she can use the Force and I can literally explain away anything by that. It makes perfect sense. Being able to use the Force isn't and hasn't ever been a gender thing. But when you see a 110 pound girl throwing around 225 pound muscular guys like they're toothpicks, well yeah, I mean that does kind of cause me to fall out of the movie. If she's awesome with a gun, and her skills are based on marksmanship, I completely believe that. Have you seen some of these ladies in archery and whatnot? They are incredible! 

I just don't think it's too much to ask, guy or girl, that they look the part. No, I don't buy a scrawny little hipster twit being an action star, either. Not unless it's purely with gunplay, and even then, I'm kinda meh on the whole thing. The problem is, you can't ask Hollywood to cast "badass" girls in badass action roles because unlike the movies, there really AREN'T that many badass women. The ones there are cannot act at all, so then you're going to have to teach them. Bottom line, most girls are not muscular, and won't be throwing around guys twice their size. It's not going to happen.

I think the above article makes some great points, and I think most people will agree with what is an intelligently written piece. But it's anti-Social Justice Warrior, so of course it won't find much favor among the liberal elite.

18 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

We went from Schwarzenegger (best bodybuilder of all times) to prepubescent girls as action heroes. 

Some (many) think its suspect and nefarious to point that out and try to ridicule you with infantile memes. 

Oh well...

We've also had Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor, Furiousa, Rey Palpatine Kenobi Snoke Solo Skywalker, Jyn Erso, Wonder Woman, Ellen Salt.

Edited by DAR
  • Like 10

56 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

@cookie I am no MRA or anything of that sort. I would maybe describe myself as a polemicist of conventional wisdom and a critique of post-modern, ultra-liberal society. 

I don't know what 'ultra-liberal' society you're referring to, but it ain't the UK or USA.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Oh well...

Good thing too.  Schwarzenegger is a terrible actor.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Beauty and The Panda said:

Good thing too.  Schwarzenegger is a terrible actor.

Schwarzenegger is one most underrated actors in Hollywood. I give him credit for working with great directors, or working with in general people with vision of making something great. But sorry I dont see a guy who could have played role of Conan better than him or play Terminator or play in Predator better than him. This is the guy who gave us 3 or 4 greatest franchises Hollywood always try to get up. Specially playing those silent, few liners characters in movies. Not many people can give a presence and carry a movie without saying much and still make it amazing.  Saying he is terrible I will consider trolling. 

His Conan is underrated as *** I still think that's his best role he ever played, and his Conan movies in general are underrated as *** as from general audience experience.  Still dont understand how that franchise didnt become big.  And how we didnt get King Conan movie.  Not mention another classic Total Recall. We got reboots of all those movies, and they all sucked.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neno said:

Schwarzenegger is one most underrated actors in Hollywood. I give him credit for working with great directors, or working with in general people with vision of making something great. But sorry I dont see a guy who could have played role of Conan better than him or play Terminator or play in Predator better than him. This is the guy who gave us 3 or 4 greatest franchises Hollywood always try to get up. Specially playing those silent, few liners characters in movies. Not many people can give a presence and carry a movie without saying much and still make it amazing.  Saying he is terrible I will consider trolling. 

His Conan is underrated as *** I still think that's his best role he ever played, and his Conan movies in general are underrated as *** as from general audience experience.  Still dont understand how that franchise didnt become big.  And how we didnt get King Conan movie.  Not mention another classic Total Recall. We got reboots of all those movies, and they all sucked.  

He's still a terrible actor tho.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Beauty and The Panda said:

He's still a terrible actor tho.

I dont agree. Guy maybe didnt had range to play all kind of roles. Not many actors do. Usually those are Oscar winners. But he mostly stick playing roles he was good. And he could carry and elevate those movies.  I go with similar discussion with people who call   Keanu Reeves terrible actor. He is not. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

This is a movie about giant robots posing angrily and fighting each other. It's based on a series of toys aimed at 5-8 year old boys. 

How did the subject end up here, and perhaps we can move on?

It's bad to cast 15 year old girls as action heroes Tele we need more convincing action heroes like Shia LaBeef

• Like 5