Neo

Transformers: The Last Knight | 6/21/2017 | Big Budget, Weak OW?

18 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Wow I don't think Paramount understands their target audience. I don't think I've disliked someone who I'm supposed to be rooting for more from a trailer in recent memory. We wanted more Transformers...not the humans. The Transformers were hardly even in the trailer.

You weren't the intended audience for this trailer.

Meet Izzy in this special new preview of Transformers: The Last Knight, created exclusively to run in theaters with Beauty & the Beast. 

16 minutes ago, antovolk said:

You weren't the intended audience for this trailer.

Well if the trailer came online (it's been viewed 4M times) then the intended audience was going to see this anyway. And now they know she's a main character. 

I get it. Michael Bay gets criticized for sexism in his movies but he didn't correct it properly with Izzy. In typical Bay fashion, he went totally overboard with the message. 

They could have came up with way better dialogue for this new character or had very little. We could have been shown what she's been through since the last movies without a word.

People would still complain about another female lead but the way they did it was the worst route possible. It comes off as an attempt to place a Katniss in the Transformers universe to sell the movie to that demo...the problem is she didn't even talk like that so that doesn't even work.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, somebody85 said:

Well if the trailer came online (it's been viewed 4M times) then the intended audience was going to see this anyway. And now they know she's a main character. 

I get it. Michael Bay gets criticized for sexism in his movies but he didn't correct it properly with Izzy. In typical Bay fashion, he went totally overboard with the message. 

They could have came up with way better dialogue for this new character or had very little. We could have been shown what she's been through since the last movies without a word.

People would still complain about another female lead but the way they did it was the worst route possible. It comes off as an attempt to place a Katniss in the Transformers universe to sell the movie to that demo...the problem is she didn't even talk like that so that doesn't even work.

there's a reason Paramount explicitly pointed out that this was specially made for BATB - this isn't a general audience trailer, although wider demographics will see it...because not putting it online and keeping it as theatrical exclusive would be a bit stupid. Putting it online doesn't negate from the fact that this was a trailer specially made for a certain demographic, and there's a reason why the actress playing Izzy is the one who debuted it online thru her Facebook page.

Now if this were the 'main/theatrical' trailer (which it ain't) then I'd see the point. But in this case - this trailer wasn't made for you or others saying "We wanted more Transformers...not the humans."

• Like 1

The franchise has always been pandering to someone, may as well be teenage girls this time. They see these movies too.

I find it hilarious that now Transformers fans all care about stuff like "character" and "dialogue"

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 8

Oh, God, I can't believe people are trying to turn it into another Ghostbusters mess.

On 26/03/2017 at 5:44 AM, somebody85 said:

Actually it's not. It's how many are reacting viewing this trailer too. The best movies with strong female leads are written to show you how badass they are through their actions not their words.

This was so cringe inducing. 

Dude, you haven't even watched the damn movie yet, how the hell can you judge a character? What's your basis for this? A 30s clip? Give me a break, I don't see any difference at how she's being portrayed to any other female in a Blockbuster, you brought Furiosa as an example of strong female, you just forgot that she was never wrote as the main character of Mad Max, she became a strong character thanks to how Charlize played the character, instead of judging a character by pure sexism, you should at least wait till you see the movie. I'm probably the biggest Bay fan around here, but I always hated how his films always used women as fetish instruments, I'm glad that he's finally becoming a progressive person, I just wish his audience could do the same.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

I guess you can't wait for the first Chinese numbers of this movie ;)

I'm a big Transformers fan.  The first and third are mind blowing movies, imo and the second was good and the fourth has grown on me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I'm a big Transformers fan.  The first and third are mind blowing movies, imo and the second was good and the fourth has grown on me.

I know, I know, I was here these last few years, I know this enthusiasm of yours when it comes to Transformers :D  ;)

As for me my issues with Transformers are the humans..it was fine in the 4th but in the first movies I wasn't keen on LaBeOuf...

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

I know, I know, I was here these last few years, I know this enthusiasm of yours when it comes to Transformers :D  ;)

As for me my issues with Transformers are the humans..it was fine in the 4th but in the first movies I wasn't keen on LaBeOuf...

And I think the series misses Labeouf.  I know he's a head case now but if they brought him back...I think it would be so much better.

15 hours ago, baumer said:

And I think the series misses Labeouf.  I know he's a head case now but if they brought him back...I think it would be so much better.

i'll completely disagree with you here, but I know some people do want him back

On 3/27/2017 at 6:40 PM, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Oh, God, I can't believe people are trying to turn it into another Ghostbusters mess.

Dude, you haven't even watched the damn movie yet, how the hell can you judge a character? What's your basis for this? A 30s clip? Give me a break, I don't see any difference at how she's being portrayed to any other female in a Blockbuster, you brought Furiosa as an example of strong female, you just forgot that she was never wrote as the main character of Mad Max, she became a strong character thanks to how Charlize played the character, instead of judging a character by pure sexism, you should at least wait till you see the movie. I'm probably the biggest Bay fan around here, but I always hated how his films always used women as fetish instruments, I'm glad that he's finally becoming a progressive person, I just wish his audience could do the same.

Oh my god. I never said there's a problem with strong females, I said the way that Michael Bay displayed it in this trailer was not the way to do it.

Correct, I brought up Furiosa as an example, because that's the right way to do it. In the trailers for Fury Road she didn't have dialogue like what was shown in this here.

"she became a strong character thanks to how Charlize played the character, instead of judging a character by pure sexism, you should at least wait till you see the movie." - That was my whole point. Furiosas actions showed the audience how she was a strong character not her words. The dialogue here was not needed to show Izzy is this badass. Bay could have shown that through the movie but again he tried to silence his critics by going too far (I would bet that the dialogue in this trailer, is in the movie).

It has nothing to do with sexism. I love Rey, I love Jinn, I love Ripley, I love Laura Croft, I love Alice, I love Laura (in Logan)....I even liked Kristen Wiig in Ghostbusters...seriously I could go on for a long time with female leads, so please drop it with the sexism accusations.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1