Punishment

THG Catching Fire $25.25m Thursday Previews

The dreaded DH1 strikes back. :unsure: FML if this only does those numbers for the weekend. On the flipside, how hilarious would it be to see all the meltdowns if TH2 ends up beating this domestically! :lol:  I love both franchises, but most Hunger Game fans here seem to be in the Floppit camp, so that oughta be fun.

• Like 1

Isn't it weird that acclaimed sequels like Catching Fire and Star Trek 2 decrease while negatively reviewed sequels like DMC and Transformers 2 increase?

But those sequels came off of very well liked first films and those films made 300, not 400 mill in their first film.

• Like 2

So are we sure Rth didn't just typo and meant DH2?  Did anyone get confirmation from him?

LOL I just blocked it out and went with DH2. I wasn't even considering what I had just read, lol.

But he did say that all of this may change later on.

No, because general audiences don't really give a shit what critics think of these blockbusters.

yeah but movies like CF and Star Trek 2 are in the exact same position that Transformers 2 and Pirates 2 were but those increase by a lot and these decrease by a decent amount despite having the added bonus of strong reviews

How? DH1 had 24M midnights. How can it reach 150M BY BEHAVING THE SAME AS DEATHLY HALLOWS 1. Teach me your math, PLEASE.

Because it's 5:30 on Friday and no one knows if it will actually behave the same as DH1

• Like 6

This is so early people....perspective.

Actually, it isn't early when you consider matinees are crucial for a 2D movie to really break out. I looked at 2-3 theaters in the afternoon and could tell that the movie is under-performing.

So are we sure Rth didn't just typo and meant DH2?  Did anyone get confirmation from him?

Even if it behaved like DH2, that might mean two things: 

1. It's OD (no midnights) is smaller than it's midnight numbers.

2. It will do around 40M OD, 60M OD + Midnights.

Isn't it weird that acclaimed sequels like Catching Fire and Star Trek 2 decrease while negatively reviewed sequels like DMC and Transformers 2 increase?

The first Pirates and TF movies were huge surprises that not many folks saw coming. Sequels go up from surprises like that. THG and ST had huge hype when they came out. They were already at the pinnacle. (Though with no numbers yet, I don't think THG/CF goes in this group officially yet.)

yeah but movies like CF and Star Trek 2 are in the exact same position that Transformers 2 and Pirates 2 were but those increase by a lot and these decrease by a decent amount despite having the added bonus of strong reviews

Well CF hasn't decreased yet. Hold your horses there buddy!

• Like 1

Actually, it isn't early when you consider matinees are crucial for a 2D movie to really break out. I looked at 2-3 theaters in the afternoon and could tell that the movie is under-performing.

Yes, good point.  I really overlooked that.

They weren't in the exact same position. ST09 and THG were both big home video sellers, but COTBP and TF1 are two of the very biggest home video sellers ever.