Punishment

THG Catching Fire $25.25m Thursday Previews

We can safely assume that Lionsgate is going to convert those two movies in 3D... That should put them over 340M... Probably.

That's what they should have done with CF in the first place. I'm still befuddled they didn't.

That would have soften the meltdown. (Just before we realize that without the 3D premium, the attendance had decreased nevertheless :lol: )

Edited by dashrendar44

This is The Hobbit all over again. Just because Lord of the Rings grossed a lot, people expected The Hobbit to gross 500M DOM.

Same goes for Hunger Games and Catching Fire...

But Star Wars Episode VII is going to be huge.

• Like 1

Could Thanksgiving next week be part of the reason why Catching Fire might not have an astronomical first weekend 

$135-$145 million OW with a 40-45% drop next weekend would be a solid start 

Nope. That's the thing with franchise movies. No matter how low they open, you know they're frontloaded. Fans already saw the movie on first weekend, so that really assures a high second weekend drop since that's starting to be the General Audience territory

• Like 1

Could Thanksgiving next week be part of the reason why Catching Fire might not have an astronomical first weekend 

$135-$145 million OW with a 40-45% drop next weekend would be a solid start 

I doubt it drops as hard as a HP film, but that's overly optimistic, I fear.