Gopher

The 2014 Box Office Awards (pre-voting business to discuss)

Hi folks. Before you know it the second annual Box Office Forums Film Critics Society Of People Who Aren't Actual Critics But Simply Forum Members Who Thought They Could Do This Whole Awards Thing Better Than Groups Like The Boston Online Film Critics Association Whose List of Winners In Major Categories Reads More Like Oscar Predictions Than Genuine Choices For What They Thought Was the Best of the Year (or simply BOFFCSOPWAACBSFMWTTCDTWABTGLTBOFCAWLOWIMCRMLOPTGCFWTTWTBOTY for short) will be upon us. But I have some questions to ask you all before the voting process begins in a month or so. 

1. Do you all want five spots per category (with the exception of Best Picture) or six? Lots of categories last year could've been more easily inclusive to six rather than five. Six offers more flexibility but it also dilutes the achievement of a nomination to some degree. 

2. The ranking system for BP nominations from 10 points to 1 point worked, but what about for the winners? I don't want to use the same system we used for nominations. Is a single vote okay? Or what about separate categories of preference? 

3. Is it worth having a Horror category this year? I can think of five good horror movies I've seen this year but I don't know if the rest of our members have seen them. What about a documentary category? This was a very strong year for the format. 

Discuss in this thread (as well as other questions you may have) and we can come to some consensus. 

• Like 16

1. I feel like six would work better for some of the bigger categories (Actor, Actress, Director, Screenplay) but I feel like keeping it at five for other categories would be better.

2. I'm fine with this. We ought to have a system to break ties, though. You could vote last, but if your choice ends up making a tie, that would wrongfully bias your results. Instead, you could have a secret 'panel' of other members to vote and break the tie. (Revealing it publicly would be giving away too much.)

3. I actually think that it would be fine to have a horror category this year. The Conjuring and You're Next led a decent year, and there was also Evil Dead, Stoker (!!), and Grown Ups 2.

• Like 4

Don't watch horror. Don't watch docs.

Single votes.

I think six noms works well. I mean, we are not the Academy, so it doesn't really dilute any sort of achievement. It is not like Tom Hanks will peak into this thread and see he was one of six people nominated. I like the flexibility. 

How about going the Oscars route where smaller categories have 3 or 4 noms and bigger ones 6.

Maybe say it's up to 6 nominations per category but 5th and 6th also require so at least 5 votes or 5% of the votes in order to qualify (to prevent a nomination getting in purely by being on the of 6 films nominated by anybody.)

If Horrors include Thrillers then I think horror can get its own category this year too.

Edited by chasmmi

I gotta say that I'm really disappointed such cool and awesome acronym (BOFFCSOPWAACBSFMWTTCDTWABTGLTBOFCAWLOWIMCRMLOPTGCFWTTWTBOTY) is not in the thread title. Bad choice, Gopher.

Excited for this, it'll be my first year, so looking forward to it  :)

My opinion on the questions asked:

1. Five

2. Either is fine, I prefer single vote slightly more though.

3. I'm in favor or a horror category, it's been a good year for the genre.