baumer

Frozen (2013)

107 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Night 1 with the in-laws.....God help me.  Thankfully, thus far I've been able to re-visit a film I saw in the cinema a few months ago while streaming the NCAA tournament on my laptop.  Fuck yes.

The re-watch has allowed me to organize my thoughts better than before.  The film simply has a big problem, and that problem is character development.  The whole film rides on the relationship of the two sisters, and unfortunately there is more development in the ten minutes when they are kids than any time during the rest of the film.  There is surprisingly very little emotional poignancy or resonance at hand here.

As for the songs, many of them are pretty damn useless, and do nothing to further the plot.  Outside of "Let It Go" (easily the highlight of the film) the songs are quite frankly boring and tedious.  The "twist" with the prince was pretty see-through, and just how annoying is Olaf?  I wanted to put a heating fan on that son of a bitch.

If you're going to make proclamations about its greatness and compare it to the Pixar masterworks, you will thus be judged accordingly.  This is a good film with fantastic animation and if anything, is watchable and entertaining.  Just don't expect to connect with it on anything more than a surface level.

It's an over-hyped and ultimately superficial film, but hey, it could be much worse.
Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 2

I give this film zero out of five stars. It has singing in it.

I haven't seen the film yet so this is a placeholder review until I never get around to seeing it, because again, it has singing in it. 

Glad to contribute to the thread.

Do you just hate music or something?

Edited by tribefan695

I give this film zero out of five stars. It has singing in it.

I haven't seen the film yet so this is a placeholder review until I never get around to seeing it, because again, it has singing in it. 

Glad to contribute to the thread.

Ever considered becoming a movie critic? Yeah, don't do that...

I liked Tangled better ... and if i'd had to pinpoint it, the big difference is that the music and songs were much better integrated there; while watching Frozen, I caught myself thinking "oh no, don't sing again ..." - it felt forced. Also, the "villain" twist - meh. Still an enjoyable ride!

• Like 2

I have 2 problems with this movie.

1. Character development. They could have added another scene of two with Elsa. What does she do all day in her ice castle? Is she concerned about Arendelle or her sister at all? What is she eating??? Also, its apparently summer time, so how did she not notice that something was wrong when she was walking in snow and was able to make an ice palace. Anna: "theres a problem with Arrendelle", Elsa: "What is it?". Come on, Elsa, its July...

2. Kristoff talking to his reindeer too much and that song he sang to him. The trolls were also just "there".

Still, the movie is visually beautiful, Olaf is hilarious, and the songs really do fit. People here use the word "overrated" way too much. If you're calling this overrated then IMO you hate the success. Kids don't care about character development and what not. Still, this is WDAS best since Lilo and Stitch and some Pixar. This is movie I'll buy for my kids when they get about 3 or 4, and I'll be able to enjoy it with them as well. The pros stronggggggly outweigh the cons here.

A bordering near an A-, but still an A technically.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1

FINALLY saw this :P Great film, the songs are pretty good too. Loved the animation. I wouldn't say it's one of Disney's bests, but it still is a great ride.

A

BTW-there is the funniest disclaimer ever during the end credits.

Edited by Impact
  • Like 1

sometimes entertaining, often quite painful. and it's not feminist, good fucking grief.

3.5/10

People probably just saw two strong female leads and said it's feminist, I don't really think too (haven't seen it in a while though). But it does teach waaaay better lessons to young girls than other Disney Princess films. 

I enjoyed how it moved away from the classical princess story, suprised me along the way, nice humour and great songs I'd give it a A

• Like 1

It's pretty feminist, more so than the large number of "Trinity Syndrome" affected flicks like Lego Movie and TDKR. Elsa and Anna are emotionally complex women who each go through their own individual character arcs and end up at incredibly empowered places than they were at once the childhood tragedy devastated both of their carefree lives.

• Like 1

It's pretty feminist, more so than the large number of "Trinity Syndrome" affected flicks like Lego Movie and TDKR. Elsa and Anna are emotionally complex women who each go through their own individual character arcs and end up at incredibly empowered places than they were at once the childhood tragedy devastated both of their carefree lives.

The lesson that true love does not have to be some hunk or prince charming but is actually your family was different and a good lesson. 

Yeah in that sense I agree with you.

1. Character development. They could have added another scene of two with Elsa. What does she do all day in her ice castle? Is she concerned about Arendelle or her sister at all? What is she eating??? Also, its apparently summer time, so how did she not notice that something was wrong when she was walking in snow and was able to make an ice palace. Anna: "theres a problem with Arrendelle", Elsa: "What is it?". Come on, Elsa, its July...

2. Kristoff talking to his reindeer too much and that song he sang to him. The trolls were also just "there".

Still, the movie is visually beautiful, Olaf is hilarious, and the songs really do fit. People here use the word "overrated" way too much. If you're calling this overrated then IMO you hate the success. Kids don't care about character development and what not. Still, this is WDAS best since Lilo and Stitch and some Pixar. This is movie I'll buy for my kids when they get about 3 or 4, and I'll be able to enjoy it with them as well. The pros stronggggggly outweigh the cons here.

A bordering near an A-, but still an A technically.

Arrendale is the northernmost civilized country and she probably went north so far that it is always cold there (or she at least thought that) - it makes sense for me.

• Like 1

LOL attacking The LEGO Movie. So predictable even though Trinity Syndrome really doesn't effect that movie at all :lol:

LOL attacking The LEGO Movie. So predictable even though Trinity Syndrome really doesn't effect that movie at all :lol:

I think the Lego Movie is better overall, but in this regard I think he's right. lego movie, was like, the main example in the article that coined the term "trinity syndrome"

1. Character development. They could have added another scene of two with Elsa. What does she do all day in her ice castle? Is she concerned about Arendelle or her sister at all? What is she eating??? 

Since Blank just liked this, I'm curious. What did Elsa eat? Really? And then what did she do all day? Again, there was absolutely nothing in the ice castle, but ice. No furniture or anything. Yeah it may be a nitpick, but even a 8 year old could be asking this question.

Idk maybe she ate snowcones or something. You would think she'd at least dance around to Ice Ice Baby ala Risky Business at least one time.

• Like 3