ExcelFTW

Retro Throw Back: 2005's King Kong- What Went Wrong?

I can't find any reasonable explanation why it opened so low. The Lost World grossed 70 million more than KK, despite mixed reaction, no christmas release and 8 years of inflation. Puzzling indeed. I remember looking King Kong BO (after watching the movie) and thinking "WTF? Why the gross is so low?"

• Like 1

I can't find any reasonable explanation why it opened so low. The Lost World grossed 70 million more than KK, despite mixed reaction, no christmas release and 8 years of inflation. Puzzling indeed. I remember looking King Kong BO (after watching the movie) and thinking "WTF? Why the gross is so low?"

The Lost World was a highly anticipated sequel.

Not a good comparison.

I know, but KK was coming from the guy who made LOTR trilogy (aka the best trilogy of all-time at the time) + It was heavily marketed and it was a great film...

It made only $10M less stateside.

So what you're really asking is...why didn't the Japanese like King Kong versus Lost World?

Since well, Lost World made like $65M more in Japan than King Kong.

• Like 1

It was too damn long and too many subplots. Half of Skull Island could have been cut out and maybe the entire subplot with the tribe. Didnt they go to Skull Island then leave then come back again? All to save Nicole Kidman? Too long and useless. IMO, even though it was badass at parts, Skull Island just took up way to much time and story and you kinda forget whats even going on.

The ending was good classic KK, but I think Jackson focused a little too much on the first and second acts. The effects were 2015 instead of 2005 though, so realistic, but the movie shouldve been shorter and more straight forward. I know I was confused as hell as a kid...after I watched on DVD. Just couldn't sit through it back then. Still cant really unless I have a FF button haha.

• Like 1

The ending was good classic KK, but I think Jackson focused a little too much on the first and second acts. The effects were 2015 instead of 2005 though, so realistic, but the movie shouldve been shorter and more straight forward. I know I was confused as hell as a kid...after I watched on DVD. Just couldn't sit through it back then. Still cant really unless I have a FF button haha.

Kong looked good, but the environment was very obvious green screen. Jackson also commented on a few set pieces looking shoddy because there wasn't enough time, this one in particular:

I was dissapointed with the lack of and the manner of vehicular damage show when Kong is on a rampage.

The cars and buses looked toyish and made of tin with Kong going "clang clang clang" on them.

This is what happens when the T-Rex in the Lost World smashes his head into a bus

0:19 to 0:29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVIS31ghLNQ

This is an agent from Matrix Reloaded jumping on a car

1:08 to 1:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b6S8tpQtdw

This is Kong smashing a bus

2:45 to 2:53

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diLE4umndNM

Fiber glass scrunch > Tin clang

Edited by a2knet