Films

Wicked: Part 1 | Thanksgiving 2024 | Jon M Chu to direct | Ariana Grande is Galinda. Cynthia Erivo is Elphaba

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

It’ll make £40m+ here in the UK alone I bet. 

I’ve actually never seen Wicked on stage, but this looks BIG to me. Love Ariana and Cynthia. 

I mean it's because Wicked was successful in the west end there. Don't think it has the same kind of cultural relevance pretty much anywhere else since pretty much the US and UK are the only countries where the musical has found success.

26 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Zendaya was horrendous on her Disney show. So...?

Zendaya was fine. She also improved and became the youngest two time Lead Actress Emmy winner in history

Ariana never really improved and is solely known for her amazing vocals, not her acting (or dancing). If the director doesn’t care about her acting ability then it’s ok I suppose.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

I'm a little mixed about this trailer , i don't know many things about the musical so i don't know if it's accurate or not but for me i think the first half of the trailer isn't good, with Harry Potter vibes but not in the good way with cliche caracters ( like the popular girl and boy : Grande and Bailey) . I don't know if the  thematic of the musical are fresh in 2024 or not. I don't think the problems are the acting for Grande but more the character . The second biggest problem for me is i saw the whole movie or the direction of the movie in 3 minutes but the movie is in 6 MONTHS. I don't know if it's the good strategy .

songs are like "she's blonde so she's stupid" etc... yeah i mean on theater is a classic cause you can give it context. As new thing i don't know...they could change something too. 

Edited by vale9001

49 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I mean it's because Wicked was successful in the west end there. Don't think it has the same kind of cultural relevance pretty much anywhere else since pretty much the US and UK are the only countries where the musical has found success.

My point being though that if it’s making that much in one territory, $100m+ overall internationally like the original poster said, is extremely unlikely. 

1 hour ago, Speedorito said:

Zendaya was fine. She also improved and became the youngest two time Lead Actress Emmy winner in history

Ariana never really improved and is solely known for her amazing vocals, not her acting (or dancing). If the director doesn’t care about her acting ability then it’s ok I suppose.

Curious, where would Ariana improve? How many acting projects of hers can you name where she played a substantial role? I'd love to hear your thoughts on her acting since then!

Zendaya was given a chance to improve and has. Nobody has said otherwise. But nobody can deny that she was terrible in HER kids show. It's irrelevant to even bring up in regard to their current acting.

Posted (edited)

Ariana's acting highlight will always be this for me.

Anyway, her casting is on point for a project that relies on musical talent than actual acting talent such as this.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Curious, where would Ariana improve? How many acting projects of hers can you name where she played a substantial role? I'd love to hear your thoughts on her acting since then!

Zendaya was given a chance to improve and has. Nobody has said otherwise. But nobody can deny that she was terrible in HER kids show. It's irrelevant to even bring up in regard to their current acting.

I don’t want to get too much into stan wars, but that’s sort of proving the point. She hasn’t improved much since she was a teenager, and that’s partially because she hasn’t done much acting (almost certainly by choice), though she has had opportunities. And while Zendaya has had more acting roles in the past decade, she already started to expand past her teenage acting wheelhouse with a supporting role in The Greatest Showman. When she won her first Emmy all she really had under her belt was Disney Channel, Spider-Man, and The Greatest Showman.

But anyway, if she’s a lead in a big-budget live-action adaptation of a Broadway musical, I think it’s fair to criticize her acting as long as the criticism isn’t too harsh just judging from a trailer.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Grande seems absolutely unbearably terrible

Also it's a bit moot since it's one of the most famous musicals of all time but it really is basically the whole movie in 3 minutes.

The fact people know the plot doesn't mean you have to show everything. The point of watching what you already know on a different form is still to be surprised by they way they are made. If you show so many awaited - Key scenes It's wrong even if the plot is well know. 

Edited by vale9001

41 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

The fact people know the plot doesn't mean you have to show everything. The point of watching what you already know on a different form is still to be surprised by they way they are made. If you show so many awaited - Key scenes It's wrong even if the plot is well know. 

Spoilery trailers is nothing new. It's the studio showing all the cool parts so people will go see the movie. If it bothers you that much don't watch them or just watch the first teaser which tends to show less.

I only watched the first teaser for the new Apes film before going to see the movie, and I'm glad. Later trailers revealed way more (saw them after seeing the film) and would have taken away from the experience.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Seems like a decent and respectful adaptation. 

That said, why it looks so dead? The colors simply doesn’t pop, there are obvious care in it’s production values but it truly looks like some streaming original, which is awful. 

It’s a fantasy movie, we really need to surpass this grey-ish aesthetic that makes everything looks muted visually. Raimi’s OZ for all it’s problems at least was a delight to look at.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Honestly, I barely know the plot, and I'm glad we saw

Spoiler

Elphaba being chosen to go meet The Wizard of Oz,

Because if it showed up halfway through the movie and I hadn't seen the trailer, I'd wonder how much longer I had to go in the film. I  guess that's part 2?

Honestly ariana even if the pure acting could not be good-great seems more in part.

Elphaba is giving ben platt in dear Evan hensen 🙃. She looks her age. Also the songs of this are very disneyan pop, Cynthia erivo is a crazily good singer but imo her style doesn't fit with this kind of pop. I don't like what we hear of definity Gravity. 

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

Honestly ariana even if the pure acting could not be good-great seems more in part.

Elphaba is giving ben platt in dear Evan hensen 🙃. She looks her age. Also the songs of this are very disneyan pop, Cynthia erivo is a crazily good singer but imo her style doesn't fit with this kind of pop. I don't like what we hear of definity Gravity. 

Very little of Elphaba is what I consider "pop".

IMO, the biggest obstacle to this being as good as it could be is that it's taking a great 2 hour and 40 minute-ish musical and stretchhhhhing it into two movies and it's hard to imagine its doing so for any reason other than $$$$. I love John Chu and the production values look top notch, but I still have my doubts.

Jeff Goldblum as the wizard is a nice W though.

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

It's a bit more leeway since A: the musical is so famous and b; there is a part 2 but yeah they show a lot of the major beats

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

My main concern is still stereteching this out to two movies. That is pulling the stage show really, really, thin.

I hope at least is not more than 105 minutes long (without counting credits) cause from the trailer seems like very loyal to the plot of the musical and if It's more than 2 hours long the risk to have scenes made longer and longer for no reason is high.

21 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I hope at least is not more than 105 minutes long (without counting credits) cause from the trailer seems like very loyal to the plot of the musical and if It's more than 2 hours long the risk to have scenes made longer and longer for no reason is high.

Having read the novel and seen the stage show, I guarantee you the two film format guarantees lots of padding just for length.