L.A. Confidential (1997)

19 members have voted

1. 1. L.A. Confidential

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I thought it was a perfect film for its first 100 minutes or so, but the way it pretty much became a buddy cop movie in the end (with a two-against-twenty shoot-out that both protagonists manage to survive) kind of knocks it down from its "all-time masterpiece" pedestal. I also thought it needed a more tragic ending - Pierce shooting an "unarmed criminal" in the back in cold blood is brilliant, but the film needed to stay in that territory afterwards. At least they could have killed off Crowe - that would have let the film continue being its own thing, and given the ending a necessary amount of weight while allowing the film to stay a crowd-pleaser.

• Like 1

I thought it was a perfect film for its first 100 minutes or so, but the way it pretty much became a buddy cop movie in the end (with a two-against-twenty shoot-out that both protagonists manage to survive) kind of knocks it down from its "all-time masterpiece" pedestal. I also thought it needed a more tragic ending - Pierce shooting an "unarmed criminal" in the back in cold blood is brilliant, but the film needed to stay in that territory afterwards. At least they could have killed off Crowe - that would have let the film continue being its own thing, and given the ending a necessary amount of weight while allowing the film to stay a crowd-pleaser.

This.

Crowe and Pierce were fantastic. How the hell Basinger and Spacey of all people got nominated is beyond me. Great movie but Titanic deserved all its wins. All of them.

Spacey wasn't nominated for his. He (supporting) and Pearce (Lead) should have been though.

• Like 2