LexJoker

Monday #s (12/30) 'HAPPY NEW YEAR'

Tangled is a major reason for Frozen's success. Tangled was a movie that people loved in theatres and loved on DVD, and Frozen is in the same Disney Princess vein. Frozen benefitted from and built on Tangled's success to make even more money. Think of it as The Little Mermaid opening doors for Beauty and the Beast to earn even more money. 

Without Tangled, Frozen wouldn't have gone anywhere near $300M+. 

• Like 2

Annie is one competition

Hobbit 3 is again competition (the other two have appealed to families so will the third)

Big Hero 6 and Home will be holdovers similar to Rise of the Guardians and Wreck-It Ralph

Exodus (Depending on its rating) always could given its Biblical themes

There'll probably be some more announced later through the year.

Even then, Night at the Museum 3 won't get close to Frozen's overall gross, competition or not.

I do not think TABA will be as kids oriented as two previous movies. Massive action and

many deaths of characters of the "good side"

Annie is one competition

Hobbit 3 is again competition (the other two have appealed to families so will the third)

Big Hero 6 and Home will be holdovers similar to Rise of the Guardians and Wreck-It Ralph

Exodus (Depending on its rating) always could given its Biblical themes

There'll probably be some more announced later through the year.

Even then, Night at the Museum 3 won't get close to Frozen's overall gross, competition or not.

Ah shit, I forgot about Annie. Museum probably will have to share with that. Either way kid's movies will combine for a solid 300m over next holiday, once again proving my point that Frozen got to have almost the whole pie instead of just a piece this year. Frozen never had to learn how to share.

I do not think TABA will be as kids oriented as two previous movies. Massive action and

many deaths of characters of the "good side"

It doesn't matter about your spoiler because that won't be marketed in the trailer, and action doesn't scare off kids, in fact fantasy action actually encourages kids (think Pirates and Harry Potter).  

Also, kids will want to see how it ends if they saw the last two.

That's my issue here though. People are downplaying Tangled's WOM and overplaying Frozen's. Tangled did have fantastic WOM. To say Frozen had Tangled's WOM means I'm saying Frozen's WOM was fantastic too. But as I pointed out in the Frozen thread, kid's movies besides Tangled grossed over half a billion domestically that Holiday season. Kid's movies besides Frozen have grossed over $20m this Holiday season. :unsure:  How could that possibly not be having an impact?

Movieman, not once have I ever said that minimal competition hasn't played a part in Frozen's success.  In fact I have said that 2-3 times in this thread already. My beef has been you saying that it has performed "merely well" and continuing to downplay a historic run.  That is an understatement equivalent to saying it's Walmart does solid business.

Making comments like Rise of the Guardians would have done 200 million plus with less competition is a bit wild too.

We also agree that Tangled performed great and had awesome WOM.  Frozen has proven to be superior from a WOM and box office standpoint.  So when you say Frozen has performed "merely well" it doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

Ah shit, I forgot about Annie. Museum probably will have to share with that. Either way kid's movies will combine for a solid 300m over next holiday, once again proving my point that Frozen got to have almost the whole pie instead of just a piece this year. Frozen never had to learn how to share.

Did you ever think that maybe Walking With Dinosaurs flopped (and Mitty under performed) because Frozen was still doing so well with family audiences?

Frozen didn't have to learn how to share because it learned to sucker punch its competition in the face, grab the pie, and run with it.

• Like 4

The Hobbit movies are no more kid's films than the LOTR ones. Period, the end.

Right, that's why I kept seeing hobbit trailers when I went to animated movies.  :rolleyes:

The Hobbit has a universal audience (and you know this isn't because im a Hobbit fanboy because I hate these movies) and kids are definitely apart of it.

Did you ever think that maybe Walking With Dinosaurs flopped (and Mitty under performed) because Frozen was still doing so well with family audiences?

Frozen didn't have to learn how to share because it learned to sucker punch its competition in the face, grab the pie, and run with it.

I think I saw Olaf doing that to a T-Rex around mid-December. lol

Happy belated birthday MovieMan!

• Like 1

Movieman, not once have I ever said that minimal competition hasn't played a part in Frozen's success.  In fact I have said that 2-3 times in this thread already. My beef has been you saying that it has performed "merely well" and continuing to downplay a historic run.  That is an understatement equivalent to saying it's Walmart does solid business.

Making comments like Rise of the Guardians would have done 200 million plus with less competition is a bit wild too.

We also agree that Tangled performed great and had awesome WOM.  Frozen has proven to be superior from a WOM and box office standpoint.  So when you say Frozen has performed "merely well" it doesn't make sense.

For the record you've been one of the few here to at least partly see where I'm coming from, so I'm not really addressing you when I say some are failing to admit the impact of the lack of competition. As far as the "merely well" comment, I meant that as a way of saying it wasn't having Avatar/Titanic holds prior to this past week or so. Yes it was holding good, no doubt about it, but we weren't in "wow" territory. It wasn't doing anything phenom worthy until this 3rd highest 5th weekend thing, and I'm saying that happened because of lack of competition over the Xmas-New Year holiday. Otherwise its holds probably would be more in line with what Tangled did like they were at the beginning of its run. That's really all I'm saying.

• Like 1