grim22

Weekend Estimates: LS - 38.5M | FZ - 15.1M | WoWS - 9M | Hercules - 8.6M | AH - 8.6M | Her - 5.4M

IT'S 3D (I never knew that, it's also not getting a release here)

Out of idle curiosity, a 3m OW in 2100 theaters (about what it's getting here) translates to a $1,428 average for the weekend. $476 per day, or (very roughly) 47 tickets sold each day. That's what, 10 people a show? That would be epic. :D

• Like 2

Her is flopping. A movie opening in 1800 theaters is backed by at least $20 million in P&A on top of its production budget. $6 million opening means it is DOA and will not recover its total budget. That's a flop. There is a reason why esoteric movies don't play in lot of theaters and run TV ads - they can't afford to given the economics of indie film making and distribution.

It's amazing to me that we've now defined "flop" as "won't make back production + marketing budget in (domestic) theatrical distribution". It essentially means almost every non-blockbuster as a flop.

And many blockbusters, too.

It's amazing to me that we've now defined "flop" as "won't make back production + marketing budget in (domestic) theatrical distribution". It essentially means almost every non-blockbuster as a flop.

Her is not a movie that is going to make a lot of money from overseas markets either. It may do well on home media or not but that P&A budget is a killer. There is a reason why the distribution model is the way it is.

When is Jeffrey Wright ever not awesome?

I think we can all agree that Jeffrey Wright was sorely missed in Skyfall. It should have been him, Bond, and Albert Finney mowing down fools at Skyfall.

• Like 2

Her is flopping. A movie opening in 1800 theaters is backed by at least $20 million in P&A on top of its production budget. $6 million opening means it is DOA and will not recover its total budget. That's a flop. There is a reason why esoteric movies don't play in lot of theaters and run TV ads - they can't afford to given the economics of indie film making and distribution.

Her is very similar to some French arthouse film in tune. Not surprised that it is not the mainstream audience cup of tea.

• Founder / Operator

This. So this. 

I think we can all agree that Jeffrey Wright was sorely missed in Skyfall. It should have been him, Bond, and Albert Finney mowing down fools at Skyfall.

And this. I hope they bring him back in the next film.

• Like 4