grim22

Weekend Estimates: LS - 38.5M | FZ - 15.1M | WoWS - 9M | Hercules - 8.6M | AH - 8.6M | Her - 5.4M

If you want to have a good piece of nostalgia, go back and read Guru's first post about Titanic, up to his last.  It's a trip down memory lane.  Start here.  

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/122297.htm

I'd forgotten that it was the second largest December opening ever, at the time.

• Like 1

It's interesting, looking at ET's original run on BOM, they have it stopping after 52 weekends, despite still having grossed over 1mil on that weekend. I wonder how much more it could have added to its gross if it had been kept in theaters?

It made 5 and a bit million after its 52nd week.
  • Like 2

December's biggest opening weekend remains to be last weekend's $33M debut of Scream 2, which Miramax revised from $39.2M.

Oh wow I forgot that that happened. A 6M drop from the estimates.

Edited by cory
  • Like 3

When Titanic came out I was just 10 and I was still ignorant with the Internet so my experience was really just on a local level and this was really a big box office phenomenon here in the Philippines. My mother who only watches local movies in the theater watched Titanic in the theater. Everytime we are in the mall, there are still lines for Titanic. It was everywhere. And it lasted in theater for like 8 months which something that will never happen here again.

• Like 2

That's just laughable, has any other estimate been that far off?

Attack of the Clones had a four day estimate of 115 million and an actual of 110. I believe everyone knew that it was off deliberately, though, so they could claim to have beaten Spider-Man's opening in a press release.

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator

December's biggest opening weekend remains to be last weekend's $33M debut of Scream 2, which Miramax revised from $39.2M.

Oh wow I forgot that that happened. A 6M drop from the estimates.

I remember that too. Ah, the days of pre-Internet and pre-box office knowledge.

Edited by ShawnMR

Attack of the Clones had a four day estimate of 115 million and an actual of 110. I believe everyone knew that it was off deliberately, though, so they could claim to have beaten Spider-Man's opening in a press release.

That was four days vs. three, would box office junkies have considered that the same thing? Ultimately it didn't matter as the estimate was way off.

Reading Titanic's Wikipedia page, apparently Jared Leto refused to audition for Jack, I guess he thought he'd be typecast after My So-Called Life or something.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

Lol, as if beating a 3 day opening with a 4 day one is anything to brag about. :P

• Founder / Operator

That was four days vs. three, would box office junkies have considered that the same thing? Ultimately it didn't matter though.

Junkies wouldn't, but the general public wouldn't have (didn't) known the difference. Even today, they still wouldn't.

First time I've seen people on FB talking about a new release this much since Hobbit-Lone Survivor is getting some great status updates.

"Amazing"

"Very violent, not for everybody but very well made"Yep as I said earlier-the director might of had a rusty start but looks to be a turn around, remember quite a few great directors had rusty starts.