CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

On 10/16/2016 at 5:09 PM, CJohn said:

It will do more OS.

Eh, doubt it. The songs make it be more localized humor here

And sorry posting in here again but just wanna say the last trailer... actually makes it look semi-decent. Kinda surprising to me tbh

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm actually starting to consider the possibility of this beating Pets, especially if Moana disappoints. I think once again Illumination is just absolutely hitting it out of the park with creating appeal and awareness in their marketing. 

I think it'll be lower than Pets OS but I reckon $250m+ is likely domestically. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I think 300-330 right now, but potential for as high as Pets if WOM is great. 

Stupidly, Universal aren't releasing in the UK until late January, I guess they wanted to avoid Moana but it'll only have two weeks + two days of previews to itself until Lego Batman which is probably hurt its legs. Pets had three weeks + two days of previews before it hit the double whammy of The BFG and Dory but it had summer weekdays which Sing won't have, there is half term which is a week off school but i think Lego Batman will dominate

Illumination needs to up its game....all their films including DM series lack quality animation...

with the kind of money they are making, they can afford to increase their budgets by 50% to make their films look visually appealing...

Personally i'm not going to pay $10 for an animation film that looks like SLOP/Sing...i respect the development process that goes into making an animation mv...

on one side you have Pixar/WDAS who constantly push the boundaries and other side you have films from Illumination whose focus is more on slapstick comedy rather on quality..

• Like 2

I don't think it's realistic to expect Illumination to try to do a multi-layered message film, certainly not while they keep being rewarded for their current MO, which is what Meledandri's has always been. They fill the "dumb fun" niche while Disney and Pixar (mostly) aim for the grand sweep

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I don't think it's realistic to expect Illumination to try to do a multi-layered message film, certainly not while they keep being rewarded for their current MO, which is what Meledandri's has always been. They fill the "dumb fun" niche while Disney and Pixar (mostly) aim for the grand sweep

which would be better for its BO potential especially in this particular time. A simple, good entertainment. I think if Moana and Zootopia had switched release dates then Zootopia would have branded as a liberal agenda film and not do as well as it did in this divisive post-election time.. now I'm worried about Moana slightly too since it also has some "political" quality to it as far as I understood, whereas Sing seems more like anthropomorphic singing competition bit with possibly a light lesson that is saying be true to who you are or something.

Edited by yjs

1 hour ago, yjs said:

which would be better for its BO potential especially in this particular time. A simple, good entertainment. I think if Moana and Zootopia had switched release dates then Zootopia would have branded as a liberal agenda film and not do as well as it did in this divisive post-election time.. now I'm worried about Moana slightly too since it also has some "political" quality to it as far as I understood, whereas Sing seems more like anthropomorphic singing competition bit with possibly a light less that is saying be true to who you are or something.

Holy shit yes. Zootopia generated headlines about being anti-Trump back in March. Now that he's president, I'd actually worry about violence in the theaters if it was an upcoming release.

But no one's going to care about Moana's quasi-environmental message, sadly. Donald Trump said global warming is a hoax, so it's not important.

Edited by cannastop

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Holy shit yes. Zootopia generated headlines about being anti-Trump back in March. Now that he's president, I'd actually worry about violence in the theaters if it was an upcoming release.

But no one's going to care about Moana's quasi-environmental message, sadly. Donald Trump said global warming is a hoax, so it's not important.

They might care about it's not a white male hero-ness.

1 hour ago, yjs said:

which would be better for its BO potential especially in this particular time. A simple, good entertainment. I think if Moana and Zootopia had switched release dates then Zootopia would have branded as a liberal agenda film and not do as well as it did in this divisive post-election time.. now I'm worried about Moana slightly too since it also has some "political" quality to it as far as I understood, whereas Sing seems more like anthropomorphic singing competition bit with possibly a light lesson that is saying be true to who you are or something.

Zootopia's message was beautifully delivered and obviously applies to our world, but it works in its own world as well. I'm actually kind of worried that filmmakers will feel the need to be much more overt now. The last thing I want is an super obvious Trump stand-in character.

30 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

Zootopia's message was beautifully delivered and obviously applies to our world, but it works in its own world as well. I'm actually kind of worried that filmmakers will feel the need to be much more overt now. The last thing I want is an super obvious Trump stand-in character.

Already had a Trump stand-in.

XbU66Rg.jpg

A Zootopia sequel probably isn't going to arrive by the 2020 election.

I mean, unless they fast track it.

27 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Already had a Trump stand-in.

XbU66Rg.jpg

A Zootopia sequel probably isn't going to arrive by the 2020 election.

I mean, unless they fast track it.

Not necessarily a Zootopia sequel, but movies in general. And I'm talking super on the nose, like a character with a toupee talking about building a wall. Although I guess Trump is already pretty cartoonish looking, so he would fit the medium.