CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

This won't come close to The Secret Life of Pets and everyone will call it a flop because of that and it will be really weird. 

Not really.

I'll just be surprised if it doesn't clear $200M with ease given the total lack of family competition. A good comparison is 1999's Stuart Little, which really cleaned up over the holidays due to having zero competition (and adjusts to well over $200M today).

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

Not really.

I'll just be surprised if it doesn't clear $200M with ease given the total lack of family competition. A good comparison is 1999's Stuart Little, which really cleaned up over the holidays due to having zero competition (and adjusts to well over $200M today).

It will do like 220-230M.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grim22 said:

Friend of mine just watched it with his kid. Apparently the final act concert is a mega high point for the movie, everyone will exit the movie in high spirits for sure. His kid loved it and wants to watch it again when it releases.

If they do a singalong version late release, this will make bank.

300 feels more and more likely. I'd say the biggest thing it has going against it is a runtime 20 mins longer than the average animated film. However, considering most animated films have 5-10 min shorts attached these days, I think kids have gotten more used to 100 mins excluding previews.  And Zootopia was the same length, and Moana and Dory were both around 100. So the standard seems to be moving closer to 100 anyways. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

300 feels more and more likely. I'd say the biggest thing it has going against it is a runtime 20 mins longer than the average animated film. However, considering most animated films have 5-10 min shorts attached these days, I think kids have gotten more used to 100 mins excluding previews.  And Zootopia was the same length, and Moana and Dory were both around 100. So the standard seems to be moving closer to 100 anyways. 

Keep in mind that credits take up 10 minutes of all of those runtimes.

55 minutes ago, goldenstate5 said:

I've heard this film is an insanely bland crowd pleaser.

So an Illumination film. It's gonna make money but please don't beat Moana... please...

It probably will...

• Like 1

Illumination is rolling right now.

OW:  60 (5 day 90)

Total:  290

I guess the five day could look something like this:

Wed:  15

Thurs:  16

Fri:  24

Sat: 13

Sunday: 22.5

On 11/27/2016 at 6:30 AM, goldenstate5 said:

I've heard this film is an insanely bland crowd pleaser.

So an Illumination film. It's gonna make money but please don't beat Moana... please...

So just like Pets but with the bonus of a holiday.