CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I want family movies that both kids and adults can enjoy. What a terrible thing!

4 hours ago, Goffe said:

Because other movies proved that you can be more than that. That's what's wrong with being "mindless fluff". 

What I get from this is grown men complaining that a childrens movie is too "for children."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jandrew said:

What I get from this is grown men complaining that a childrens movie is too "for children."

I'm fourteen and I believe they both bring up valid points.  Animation shouldn't just be geared towards a certain demographic, but rather have a four quadrant appeal and teach and tackle universal themes, issues, and topics that will resonate with people of all ages.  Animation is an amazing medium to convey messages and if it can be utilized to perfection, you will have a film that pleases almost everyone.  I guess Sing just didn't do it for them.  

16 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Dropping a big MEH off for this here. 

Illumination auditioned to be Pixar and appeal to adults, but hit flat notes the whole time. Not bad, but just very "who cares?" The "big, fun, entertaining" final act some of the critics actually had me hyped for was...I guess the best part, but I'm not sure what they watched to be so enthusiastic? The A.D.D. zany comedy of SLOP>>>>

Just stick with Looney Tunes Illumination, you're kind of good at it. 

I applaud Illumination for trying something different but I get the feeling their model of keeping costs down and locking the story early means that a potentially great film can only ever be good at best rather than reworking it to solve any issues 

10 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

KFP3 doesn't belong in that group.  It's not Penguins of Madagascar.  Illumination's middle of the road offerings are on the level of Angry Birds, Trolls and Stork - all of which make money in the low to mid hundreds. That Illumination makes more than these is due far more to the non stop expensive marketing assault ($500m+ over a year for Minions) where the money and seemingly much of the energy and creativity goes instead of toward making the movie. 

Illuminationcertainly aren't bottom of the barrel ala Norm of The North or Ratchet & Clank  but the difference in quality between them is nearly the same as the distance in quality between the majority of Illumination and Ghibli, Pixar, WDAS, Laika, Aardman, Cartoon Salon, and Dreamworks at it's peak.

There have been great non Disney animation this year  -  Kubo, The Little Prince, April & The Extraordinary World  but these movies aren't finding a big audience or making money in the U.S. which is a damn shame.  The quality and creativity of those movies is what will hopefully keep WDAS on their toes. 

I thought Storks was pretty good and I think Warner Animation Group IMO is one to watch out for although I do worry that if Smallfoot, their next original film underperforms then they stick to Lego and WB characters for their slate

Aardman do get the balance of humour and heart right, they're not risk takers like Laika but they do have a consistent track record 

Nah I still think its silly to complain that a movie like Sing doesnt have adult enough themes. IDC if youre 14 or 17 or 27. I think Illuminations style is blatantly obvious now. Not everything has to be a Pixar or HTTYD type.

I honestly think it's kind of selfish, and an unfair reason to penalize the movie. You have to take it for what it is. Does Sing excel in being a masterpiece of cinema? No. Does it excel in entertaining it's audience and giving them a nice time at the movies? Looks like it. Okay then.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hades said:

From time to time people will want to watch animated films that is not a Pixar sequel, a princess movie or a buddy comedy romp.No need to be insecure or threatened by Illumination. Everyone can co exist.  

Yes, and no need for them to be something they're not either. I think this movie is them doing that. 

Just now, Hades said:

Ok.....

It reeks of desperation to emulate Pixar and get the acclaim of being a "poignant" and "mature" animated film. Except all the "heartfelt" beats have been done to death in superior ways in the medium. They should stick to what has made them unique and so successful: Looney Tunes wackiness that has a little bit of heart mixed in. 

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It reeks of desperation to emulate Pixar and get the acclaim of being a "poignant" and "mature" animated film. Except all the "heartfelt" beats have been done to death in superior ways in the medium. They should stick to what has made them unique and so successful: Looney Tunes wackiness that has a little bit of heart mixed in. 

LOl ok calm down....its your opinion. What they are doing is working and that's it. Solid reviews great box office and audience approval.  

1 minute ago, Hades said:

LOl ok calm down....its your opinion. What they are doing is working and that's it. Solid reviews great box office and audience approval.  

Well this isn't all that critically acclaimed and it's looking very likely it could be their lowest grosser DOM. That said, I'm sure families will like it well enough since it's so inoffensive. But there are a lot of options for them too right now. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well this isn't all that critically acclaimed and it's looking very likely it could be their lowest grosser DOM. That said, I'm sure families will like it well enough since it's so inoffensive. But there are a lot of options for them too right now. 

Unless it sinks after Christmas, it'll beat The Lorax domestically, their lowest grossing film is Hop which only made $184m WW

OS i think it'll do well but I'm thinking $300-350m at most. 

Edited by Jonwo

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Unless it sinks after Christmas, it'll beat The Lorax domestically, their lowest grossing film is Hop which only made $184m WW

OS i think it'll do well but I'm thinking $300-350m at most. 

I wasn't considering Hop since it's not animated. It's opening significantly lower than Moana and that is looking for a finish around 250. It could beat Lorax, but we'll have to see how it does this weekend first.