grim22

Best movies of 2013 (Results link in first post)

Um... Baumer, not that I don't agree with your general message of 'Everyone has their own opinion, etc etc', but it seems kinda contrary to say that and then talk about how 'calling films like 300 and MOS some of the worst of their respective years is ridiculous.'

It is ridiculous to call them the worst films.  They are competently made.  They might not be for some people but they are not the worst films of the year.  

• Like 3

I guess this needs to be done. Please be gentle.

Number 4:

#4: PACIFIC RIM

Posted Image

#4: PACIFIC RIM

Guillermo Del Toro was basically given over 150 million dollars to live out every kid’s fantasy i.e. to make a movie about Giant Robots (Jaegers) fighting Giant Monsters (Kaiju), and did he ever do one hell of a job. Pacific Rim delivered everything you would expect from a movie like this. It was a true triumph of visual effects when the Jaegers look like they are actually sharing the screen with the actors and you never question that fact. The Hong Kong fight may have been the best action scene of the year, and the character designs were really inspired. “Cancelling the Apocalypse” became an internet meme, and Mako Mori became an internet sensation but for whatever reason, the movie could not branch out and make a splash beyond the internet – it did well at the box office, just not as well as expectations.

Box office performance aside, this was a really fun time at the movies, and in the end isn’t that why we go watch the movies?

Box Office: 101M Domestic / 411M WW

BOF User Review:

Brilliant Dynamite Neon

I saw it.  WOW!  I have never seen anything like that on the screen before.  I recommend this movie whole-heatedly.  Is it perfect?  No.  Is it, from a story and character perspective, the best film I have seen this summer?  Probably not. Does any of that matter?  NO!

The fact that this thing isn't doing 100 million dollars this weekend is both a mystery to me and a tragic accident to film making as a whole.

Give this thing a sequel, Legendary.  Give it a sequel and then team it up with Godzilla for the third.

A

Blankments

I had one disappointment with this movie: No day-time battles. That said, HOLY CRAP. The action, as I expected, was phenomenal; I love that I was finally able to see mech vs. monster battles in live-action. The film had a great sense of fun (loved all the comic relief characters, which is rare for me), and it truly transported you to another world. It actually reminded me a lot of Avatar. Serviceable story with an average lead, but it absorbed you into a world that was just astounding. I feel like I should give it higher (and probably will go higher with a rewatch) but I give it an A.

StarSaber

EPIC! I need to go back and view it again minus the 3D because I feel it impeded my opinion a tad. But the fights were great and in many cases intense. I loved the seen with Mako as a child running for the Kaiju, very powerful IMO. The massive scale of the movie (action) is what I keep thinking back on a definitely why I loved it.

I loved Charlie Day and Ron Perlman, good use of comic relief that didn't bog down the movie.

Acting was fine, nothing noteworthy, but I definitely feel it didn't pop out to me as bad.

The characters themselves could have been better, I actually like the 3 main ones but they were too predictable in their actions. It doesn't bother me too much but it seemed significant enough to mention.

The visuals, monster/robot designs, and overall sense of style and cinematography were phenomenal.

The ending scene was too short though, when they pop up out of the water I feel that scene should have been extended or another should have been added.

A-/A

It's most fun I had in theater since TA. I just love it and it's amazing to see PR reach top 4 for the year.  :wub:

People love to entitle "worst film ever" to popular films they don't like. I don't endorse that thinking. There are over 500 films released in the United States alone per year... but only tentpoles or movies with big names are the ones that most people call "worst film ever". Whenever i read something like that, i can't take that person seriously anymore...

• Like 1

Despicable Me 2, Monsters University, Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel were fun but they're just not what I'd call "best of 2013" material. I haven't seen enough of the films from this year to comment but I'd reckon a good top 20 list would feature these (in no specific order)

Frozen

12 Years a Slave

American Hustle

This is the End

Gravity

Catching Fire 

Saving Mr. Banks

Before Midnight

Her

Mud 

Pacific Rim (at #20 lol - it was easily the most fun blockbuster of this year) 

The Conjuring

The Way, Way Back

The World's End 

The Act of Killing

The Wolf of Wall Street

Inside Llewyn Davis

Nebraska 

Dallas Buyers Club

Edited by mahnamahna

wolf of wall street or her should have been number 1 , happy for pacific rim it was one of the most entertaining moviess last year 

movies that made the top 20 from my list

her was 1

wows was 3

iron man 3 was 4

pacific rim was 11

rush was 14

now you see me was 20

stid / prisoners / smb / hobbit 2 also made my list among those in the top 21-40 spots

think i prefer my list and its not even complete as i have quite a few to see yet ! but tomorrow i will watch 12YAS i got tired of my theatre bullshit , its not on their schedule for february or march so F**k them i got the screener 

i was more than willing to see this legally , i'm tired of talking best this best that when i haven't seen this yet 

Edited by ladyevenstar22

Points list for the Top 10:

[*]Gravity - 576

[*]Frozen - 376

[*]Catching Fire - 374

[*]Pacific Rim - 149

[*]The Wolf of Wall Street - 146

[*]12 Years A Slave - 138

[*]This is the End - 136

[*]Her - 136

[*]Man of Steel - 136

[*]Before Midnight - 104

I'm not surprised about the top 3 at all. Frozen and CF are slightly niche, people who like them put them high on their lists, but they won't appear on every list. Gravity seems like the kind of movie that would appear somewhere on virtually every list, and also lots of 1 and 2 spots.

The rest, well, they all depend on the fan bases. I'm happy 4 of the 10 from my list made the top 10, although I gotta say Pacific Rim in the #4 spot is the biggest surprise  to me, it seemed like opinions on it were really polarized, but I guess the positives were bigger than I though. :D

So 6 of my Top 10 (WOWS, Before Midnight, Gravity, Her, Inside Llewyn Davis, and 12 Years A Slave) made the BOF Top 20 list. Pretty awesome! Wolf of Wall Street should have been higher but well, no major complaint there :)And lol, you guys are still going on and on with all this MOS/IM3 bullshit. Guess it's not tiring and looking pathetic to some of you yet. I've been avoiding most of the pointless 'vs' threads and those "actually superhero movies dick-measuring contest" threads but seems like it's no use. How fun.Great work grim22! And kudos to you for the great presentation too :)

Edited by Sam
  • Like 1

Well you guys just keep digging yourself into bigger holes don't you? 

The list started off okay and some of the stuff I was worried that would miss got on, so it was okay. And then IM3 missed the top 10 which was pretty cool. I had a meltdown at 11 when ILD missed the top 10. I MEAN HOW THE FUCK DID IT NOT GET INTO THE TOP 10? THIS IS FUCKING SACRILEGE. 

Anyways moving on. And then Man of Shit was at #9 and i nearly died. I got a migraine for that movie, during and after. Absolutely awful taste. 

And then the list does okay I suppose. Nothing great, and then FUCKING PACIFIC RIM? FOURTH FUCKING PLACE REALLY? And we wonder why the world (well mainly the US) is going down the shitter. No need to look any further than this. 

And then CF got to number three, which I suppose was okay even though the movie was really quite boring and nothing really happened. (I dunno, I liked the book but the movie just wasn't engaging. I fell asleep at least twice during it and it was an afternoon matinee in a packed theatre.) And then I saw Frozen at number 2, which was okay. AND THEN FUCKING GRAVITY AT NUMBER 1. FAITH IN HUMANITY IS RESTORED. :D

But yeah. 

My top 25: 

[*]Inside Llewyn Davis  [*]Philomena [*]La Grande Bellezza (The Great Beauty)  [*]Tom à la ferme (Tom at the Farm) [*]Le Passé (The Past) [*]The Wolf of Wall Street [*]L'Inconnu du Lac (Stranger by the Lake) [*]The Great Gatsby [*]Kill Your Darlings [*]August: Osage County [*]Before Midnight [*]Gravity [*]The Act of Killing [*]12 Years a Slave [*]Gloria [*]The Kings of Summer [*]Fruitvale Station [*]L'image manquante (The Missing Picture) [*]Dallas Buyers Club [*]Much Ado About Nothing [*]The Grandmasters [*]All is Lost [*]The Place Beyond the Pines [*]Museum Hours [*]To the Wonder

Points list for the Top 10:

[*]Gravity - 576

[*]Frozen - 376

[*]Catching Fire - 374

[*]Pacific Rim - 149

[*]The Wolf of Wall Street - 146

[*]12 Years A Slave - 138

[*]This is the End - 136

[*]Her - 136

[*]Man of Steel - 136

[*]Before Midnight - 104

Fuck! CF was soooo close to Frozen!