grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

That's not a bad budget (though likely downplayed considerably). It needs about 275M to break even which is doable, unless Fate of the Furious opens OS early. That one will obliterate other action options.

Should be, need a 3.3 box office / ow ratio and a 30/70 domestic/oversea ratio to reach 275, with a 25 million.

2 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

LOL, seeing this FIVE times at least, for the visuals alone!...

Then don't see it in 3d whatever you do, it was my only option and whilst the visuals still looked good, the 3d itself was garbage and the colour was so much more muted than the 2d version.

• Like 1

Doctor Strange overcame it's whitewashing controversy.

No one in the general audience even cares.

It opens everywhere this weekend, then Japan and China the following weekend.

It's the only big release this weekend here in the UK and it came out today (Thursday) but I'm going on Saturday.

Edited by Krissykins

1 minute ago, marveldcfox said:

This weekend will tell us if Scarlett really has any drawing power or Lucy just came out at the right time. Back when it released there was lot of talk for a Black Widow solo movie. That movie filled the void. 

That's unfair. Lucy was a hit because of Scarlett.

If that was a newcomer it wouldn't have made nearly as much.

The poster was her face.

• Like 2

Well, considering that Scarlett says that she didn't know about the controversy before starting to film, and based on spoilers, she can easily make a point about casting Asians in Asian roles by

turning down to appear in the sequel if this is a big success and suggests that, since the Major now knows that she was really a Japanese, she could ask for a shell that actually looks like her old self, played by a Japanese actress. cause there's no reason to keep her white now that her memories are back. Just change the shell.

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That's unfair. Lucy was a hit because of Scarlett.

If that was a newcomer it wouldn't have made nearly as much.

The poster was her face.

GITS posters display her prominently. It's based on an existing property. And the reviews are better than Lucy. There should be no excuses if this doesn't match Lucy which was an original film. 

The only thing that had going was the trailers and lot of talk for a black widow movie which was half the marketing. 

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1

If GitS does badly, it isnt beaucse of any "whitewashing controversy" its because the GA didnt care for it. These "controversys" are really only an online thing where people get butthurt a lot faster than in real life. I love the original and i really dont F*ing care if the lead is a Japanese, an American or a donkey - if she can act good then im fine. These endless toxic discussions are just tiring.

• Like 4

Just now, Brainbug said:

If GitS does badly, it isnt beaucse of any "whitewashing controversy" its because the GA didnt care for it. These "controversys" are really only an online thing where people get butthurt a lot faster than in real life. I love the original and i really dont F*ing care if the lead is a Japanese, an American or a donkey - if she can act good then im fine. These endless toxic discussions are just tiring.

This is true. However, saying that she wasn't aware of the controversy (despite big brouhaha about The Last Airbender and how big topic diversity is) is either complete lack of touch with reality or PR BS. That's why I have no patience for Hollywood activists. They are all progressive when it suits them and "unaware" that they aren't when it doesn't. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ainsleyb said:

Then don't see it in 3d whatever you do, it was my only option and whilst the visuals still looked good, the 3d itself was garbage and the colour was so much more muted than the 2d version.

Thanks, but I live in a corrupt backwaters country where customer rights mean shit - and they only do ONE copy for each movie, to squeeze more money. Yes, this means that 3D movies don't get a 2D version here - and even if you wear enormous glasses, you still have to struggle with the 3D glasses over them.

And I really, really hate the darkening of the image that 3D inevitably causes.

HOWEVER: modern 3D darkens the film much less, and more importantly - I started paying the Premium fee which allows me to only see such movies on the best possible screens (something like IMAX) that are much brighter than the normal screens.

I had to sell out. :/ But I earn good money now and can afford it. :)

Edited by shayhiri