grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

6 hours ago, eXtacy said:

I think most shounen battle shows (One Piece, Bleach, My Hero Academy, One Punch Man, DBZ, etc) just cannot work live action.

I've heard a Naruto live action adaptation has been green lit. Not sure if that's true but if it is ...... I don't think it will translate well. Specially if they turned it into teen romance .... yuck ....  

Edited by Emerald kikyou

Been thinking about the whole whitewashing issue and here the thing. (and I'm sure this has probably been said before by someone or some other)

The problem with GITS is that as an IP, while yes, it is an existing IP with an existing fanbase - the general audiences don't know about it, and the existing fanbase isn't big enough to carry it on its own. So therefore, you need a 'star' to make (the big budget adaptation that this is, anyway) it happen - confidence from studios suits about X star bringing $X million in etc. 

The good thing about "bulletproof" IPs like the MCU/SW/Disney stuff is that the star power isn't a prerequisite the way it is for original big budget properties (I mean look at the way Sony are marketing Passengers) or existing IPs that general audiences aren't that aware of like GITS - they are the best avenue to give these minority actors and actresses the opportunity to become these stars that can then 'check the box' for these big budgets not-known-IP or original tentpoles.

As for GITS - making the movie now, ScarJo was the best choice. You couldn't have cast Chinese because of problems in Japan with it, and SJ ticks that 'surefire BO' box for the execs so to speak following Lucy. That aside, they just made the movie too early.

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, antovolk said:

Been thinking about the whole whitewashing issue and here the thing. (and I'm sure this has probably been said before by someone or some other)

The problem with GITS is that as an IP, while yes, it is an existing IP with an existing fanbase - the general audiences don't know about it, and the existing fanbase isn't big enough to carry it on its own. So therefore, you need a 'star' to make (the big budget adaptation that this is, anyway) it happen - confidence from studios suits about X star bringing $X million in etc. 

The good thing about "bulletproof" IPs like the MCU/SW/Disney stuff is that the star power isn't a prerequisite the way it is for original big budget properties (I mean look at the way Sony are marketing Passengers) or existing IPs that general audiences aren't that aware of like GITS - they are the best avenue to give these minority actors and actresses the opportunity to become these stars that can then 'check the box' for these big budgets not-known-IP or original tentpoles.

As for GITS - making the movie now, ScarJo was the best choice. You couldn't have cast Chinese because of problems in Japan with it, and SJ ticks that box so to speak. That aside, they just made the movie too early.

Too early?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Too early?

Yeah. In terms of there being/not being a Japanese star that can headline a big budget IP in GITS's position in terms of awareness. If SW or the MCU or DC Films or Disney get a Japanese female lead for one of their 'bulletproof' tentpoles (which they haven't yet done), then we could see a Japanese-star led big studio budget GITS within 2/3 years of that

(and I mean lead, as where is Fukushima after Wolverine, Rinko following Pacific Rim, Okamoto after Wolverine also...)

Edited by antovolk

9 hours ago, antovolk said:

As for GITS - making the movie now, ScarJo was the best choice. You couldn't have cast Chinese because of problems in Japan with it, and SJ ticks that 'surefire BO' box for the execs so to speak following Lucy. That aside, they just made the movie too early.

Yep, pretty much hit the nail on the head