grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

3 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

The visuals are really cool and it has aesthetics that I prefer in a cyber punk/futuristic/techno thriller movie. But this is from the wife cheater who directed Snow White and Huntsman, which also had cool visuals, but rest of the movie sucked.

I should watch the animated movie to see what the deal is about..

I would say next year has lots of cool sci fi films offering different flavours. The more the merrier.

Ew, this is the Director of Snow white and the Huntsman?! That was one of the worst directed films I've ever seen. and man does Scarlett Johansson stick out like a sore thumb here.

1) no words to describe how dumb this movie looks

2) terrible trailer, the trailer doesn't even have an ending?

3) I dont usually care about whitewashing but why are they dressing Scarlett up to make her look Japanese?

4) I like Enjoy the Silence

42 minutes ago, Joel M said:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/9/11612530/ghost-in-the-shell-anime-asian-representation-hollywood

A very interesting article about Japan's complicated relationship with its own image. It's from 6 months ago and the author Emily Yoshida is a really good pop culture writer.

There are a couple of possibly big spoilers in there about the movie but damn, that's a pretty great article!

This video asking a few Japanese people about whitewashing is specially eye-opener:

They see whitewashing very differently from us. Those people aren't even offended by it...

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Long has the Shay dreamt of the day when Hollywood would start live action remaking the best Animes - in their true MANGA style!!

That day, which all others deemed unthinkable, is finally upon us. Rejoice!!

You are not only one. I am waiting for Cowboy Bebop, Trigun and Full Metal Alchemist getting live action adaptation. 

• Like 2

I didnt think Scarlett would be delivering a convincing character in this movie, and boy this trailer really strengthened that thought. Watching this trailer, awkward feeling comes to my mind whenever she shows her face or speaks.

The movie still looks interesting tho.

11 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

^ Has Johansson actually been good in anything? I mean, she's always fine, but has she ever given a performance that's gone above and beyond?

Not to start a flame war - I don't really mind her at all - but damn, she's had a blessed career all things considered.

I actually thought "Her" was her best performance. Which is a bit weird I guess, considering how she appears in that movie, but she completely sold me that movie and I love it.

I've been a fan of hers since Lost in Translation though, I thought she did great there too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

^ Has Johansson actually been good in anything? I mean, she's always fine, but has she ever given a performance that's gone above and beyond?

Not to start a flame war - I don't really mind her at all - but damn, she's had a blessed career all things considered.

I feel the same about Scarjo, she s always ok, never amazing, but she has a presence about her.

The camera is in love with her there is no doubt about this and I am not talking about her features, that s a misconception.

Casting agencies see every day Victoria Secret models that would make you say Scarjo is "average" looking.

You need to have that special X ingredient and Scarjo has it IMO, call it charisma or whatever, but yeah as an actress she's good.

She s more a movie star than an actress if that makes sense.

• Like 1

That's fair, she did well in Her. I didn't take the calls for an Oscar nom seriously, but she was about as good as anyone could have been given the role.

EDIT - that was in reply to Arlborn but I agree with Futurist's post too.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

This looks really cool. I'm not a huge anime fan, but I did watch some of Ghost In The Shell, and was very impressed by the style and themes. If you ask me, if the plan was to cast a non-Jap-American actress as the Major, ScarJo is far from your worst choice.

March is looking batshit crazy, next year. GITS, Beauty And The Beast, Kong, Logan, Trainspotting, Zookeeper's Wife... holy shit.

• Like 1

You know what? If they really wanted to whitewash this role like the pinnacle of advanced human technology is a light skin and otherwordly beautiful female creature, they should have cast a Gal Gadot type of actress.

Why? She's model slender/tall, got limited expressivity and putting some blue oculars onto her dark brown eyes would have conveyed that unsettling feeling that she's part human (at least look-wise), part artificial.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1