grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

This looks really cool. I'm not a huge anime fan, but I did watch some of Ghost In The Shell, and was very impressed by the style and themes. If you ask me, if the plan was to cast a non-Jap-American actress as the Major, ScarJo is far from your worst choice.

March is looking batshit crazy, next year. GITS, Beauty And The Beast, Kong, Logan, Trainspotting, Zookeeper's Wife... holy shit.

We get Trainspotting on February 2. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dashrendar44 said:

You know what? If they really wanted to whitewash this role like the pinnacle of advanced human technology is a light skin and otherwordly beautiful female creature, they should have cast a Gal Gadot type of actress.

Why? She's model slender/tall, got limited expressivity and putting some blue oculars onto her dark brown eyes would have conveyed that unsettling feeling that she's part human (at least look-wise), part artificial.

the whole point of getting Scarjo is that she has star power and could get this hard sci-fi project green light. Gal Gadot has none.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

That be kewl. February too is looking nice (Lego Bats, John Wick, Wellness, God Particle, Peele's horror film, Fist Fight).

Lol, there is no way Peele's horror movie gets released in Portugal, NOS already canned it. I am not even sure if Big Pictures won't cancel A Cure for Wellness too.

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Lol, there is no way Peele's horror movie gets released in Portugal, NOS already canned it. I am not even sure if Big Pictures won't cancel A Cure for Wellness too.

I mean in the North American release schedule. Dude, don't be so self centered on PT, are you Salazar or something?

Edited by MCKillswitch123

6 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I mean in the North American release schedule. Dude, don't be so self centered on PT, are you Salazar or something?

Well, Portugal is what matters to me. I don't live in America so I can't see those movies in theaters. They count on an American box office perspective. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Why would they cancel it?

Too controversial?

Edited by grey ghost

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Why would they cancel it?

Too controversial?

Horror movies bomb here. Universal/Paramount team tend to cancel every movie of the genre. Unfriended, Ouija, Purge, the last two Paranormal Activity, etc, nothing got a theatrical release here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Horror movies bomb here. Universal/Paramount team tend to cancel every movie of the genre. Unfriended, Ouija, Purge, the last two Paranormal Activity, etc, nothing got a theatrical release here.

It must suck to be a Portuguese horror fan.

So, what's the reason they all flop anyway? Something cultural?

10 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

It must suck to be a Portuguese horror fan.

So, what's the reason they all flop anyway? Something cultural?

Teens don't show up I guess? No star power to sell them on? The Visit was the only one I remember being released in the more recent years by Universal/Paramount and they were sure to heavily point out it was from M. Night Shyamalan, the director of Signs, The Sixth Sense and The Village, in the marketing materials. Split also has a release date and it seems that they are gonna stick with it.

Conjuring 2 is the only one that did big numbers here as far as I remember. It easily became the biggest OW of the genre here. Again, James Wan's name was heavily used in the marketing, making sure everyone knew he had directed the original movie.

Lights Out and Don't Breathe were controlled limited releases that ended up with a decent total. Lights Out also used James Wan's name heavily, while Don't Breathe marketing materials mentioned it was from the creators of Evil Dead. 

Indies are a hit and miss too. Blair Witch, Friend Request, Shut In and Incarnate will all get released. Blair Witch and Friend Request already bombed and the other two will flop too. But it doesn't matter, our distributors bought them in packages with other bigger movies, sometimes they don't even release them in theaters (Oculus and Before I Wake being recent examples).

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Joel M said:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/9/11612530/ghost-in-the-shell-anime-asian-representation-hollywood

A very interesting article about Japan's complicated relationship with its own image. It's from 6 months ago and the author Emily Yoshida is a really good pop culture writer.

VERY VERY good article. Bittersweetely written by Japanese person raised in US. Interesting viewpoint on history of Japan animation and what caused Ghost in the Shell to be born. 

2 hours ago, Charism said:

Hopefully they will include this one track in movie. Rest of the score should be new Mansell music though.

i would assume so... at least it has been used in the bad quality cam version of this clip

also, i like the trailer quite a bit. Only thing that might be a bit worrying is the whole amnesia thing... will be interesting to see how that plays out. They probably have made some changes to her character in order to make her more relatable...

anyways, the below clip is what got me into serious anime, so i really hope this whole thing turns out all right :)

Edited by chuck0