grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

You can't possibly compare a shot by shot remake of a movie with a sorta remake that goes from anime to live action with modern technology that allows these kind of visions to come to life.

Not exacltly the same thing.

Ah yes, a remake because the tech toys are better. That's pointless to me. I understand it's the main deal for you.

3 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

Ah yes, a remake because the tech toys are better. That's pointless to me. I understand it's the main deal for you.

I am just saying doing a transition from animation to live action is different than traditionnal remakes.

Why do you think it s one big part of Disney s business plan ?

Just now, Nutella of Arabia said:

Speaking of which, what is especially new and groundbreaking visually in there?

There are no shots in there that scream "Holy shit, I've never seen that before in a live-action movie". I thought of Blade Runner, Matrix Revolutions, Bjork's All Is Full Of Love, Aeon Flux, all did what I saw in live action way before. It seems too late at this game, like a 1995 vision of what the future would hold by a MTV music video director without any updates at all.

Ghost In The Shell the anime was groundbreaking visually and thematically, a truly futuristic movie with philosophical underlinings about human nature like Blade Runner was. To have a shot at being worthy, the live action adaptation had to up the ante in similar ways, all I see is a lavish and gimmicky copy/paste recreation a la Sin City, all (washed up) flash and lip-service substance.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2016 at 7:31 PM, dashrendar44 said:

Speaking of which, what is especially new and groundbreaking visually in there?

There are no shots in there that scream "Holy shit, I've never seen that before in a live-action movie". I thought of Blade Runner, Matrix Revolutions, Bjork's All Is Full Of Love, Aeon Flux, all did what I saw in live action way before. It seems too late at this game, like a 1995 vision of what the future would hold by a MTV music video director without any updates at all.

Ghost In The Shell the anime was groundbreaking visually and thematically, a truly futuristic movie with philosophical underlinings about human nature like Blade Runner was. To have a shot at being worthy, the live action adaptation had to up the ante in similar ways, all I see is a lavish and gimmicky copy/paste recreation a la Sin City, all (washed up) flash and lip-service substance.

You mentioned JOHNNY MNEMONIC earlier and honestly that's what it felt like for me -- at least, the 21st century version of JM. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Copy-and-paste approaches to remakes are pointless. If you're gonna do a remake, bring something new to the table, put a different spin on things etc. Luckily I haven't seen the original so this is an exciting new world to me.

The thing is, that this does not seem to be a straight up remake of neither of the movies nor the tv series. So i would not hold that against ist. They do give the whole story a different spin. The scenes which have been similar to the anime movies are going to play out in a different context (as a small example the whole robo geisha stuff is from the second movie and the jumping down skyscraper and breaking through the glass is from the first one... they also stated that

Spoiler

neither the puppet master nor the laughing man will be the main antagonist

). What i do fear is that that new spin is going to be integrated in a way which destroys what is at the core of the original... as always only time will tell whether the people involved will succeed or not... but just dismissing this since it is supposedly a scene for scene remake is missing the mark by a quite a bit.

Edited by chuck0

3 minutes ago, James said:

Why the fuck am I not excited for this?!! It looks just up my alley. Something's wrong with me:sadno:

You do seem to be awfully cynical lately, I wonder what's up with that.

Cheer up!

Edited by Arlborn

23 minutes ago, James said:

Is it weird that I'm more excited for Blade Runner despite the fact that I haven't seen a trailer for it or the original movie?:lol:

Im not overly excited for it either. I'm not a anime/manga guy. The only one I've ever watched, and it was a long time ago, was Akira. 

It looks interesting but I can wait to see it later at home. After the trailer played my wife turned to me and said "what's that?" Lol

And I'm looking forward to the Bladerunner sequel. I grew up with that movie and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they do with that. 

38 minutes ago, James said:

Is it weird that I'm more excited for Blade Runner despite the fact that I haven't seen a trailer for it or the original movie?:lol:

I don't know, are you a fan of Gosling or something? That's the only explanation I can come up with...

On 19.11.2016 at 3:29 AM, Nutella of Arabia said:

How many young people have seen PSYCHO? So clearly Gus Van Sant's shot-for-shot remake was a good idea, right?

You seem to be e bit of an imp/roguish something (?) (nicely meant)  :D

I do not even 'understand' the idea to remake a film in general (maybe a few exceptions), even less if done in That way.

Nothing against to pick up a theme, character ,... and do a new interpretation, if done interestingly

• Like 1