grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

25 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

If that scene is identical it's a good example of why you shouldn't slavishly copy something for an adaptation.

They aren't exact copies for one because the way the scenes proceed differ slightly and the music is an obvious change. If it works in context of this new story, it works. This scene doesn't show why you shouldn't   take images from the source because we don't have the necessary context. 

44 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

^ No idea (no-one can predict japan) but I'd always assumed GitS was a cult film rather than a big money maker anyway.

Oh, so GitS is similar to Akira, Tokyo Godfathers, Perfect Blue, and Paprika. Those films are critically acclaimed by reviewers and bring some influences to the movies like The Matrix (which is influenced by GitS) and Inception (Nolan said that it's inspired by Paprika) but their status is a cult film rather than a box office hit.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

It's a major movie made by and financed though a major US studio opening int eh US. in less than 4 days.   I don't see how geographical elitism plays int it.

I think @Boxofficerules may be on to something.  They might to avoid any new whitewashing backlash so close to opening.

GITS is opening NEXT Friday, March 31st!

Right?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KevinPr said:

Oh, so GitS is similar to Akira, Tokyo Godfathers, Perfect Blue, and Paprika. Those films are critically acclaimed by reviewers and bring some influences to the movies like The Matrix (which is influenced by GitS) and Inception (Nolan said that it's inspired by Paprika) but their status is a cult film rather than a box office hit.

Welcome aboard our monstrosity of mayhem. :) 

43 minutes ago, KevinPr said:

GiTS I think started out as cult but over decades it spawned several sequels and TV series.

16 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

GiTS I think started out as cult but over decades it spawned several sequels and TV series.

Oh I see that's why it doesn't make the top 10 of the Japanese box office in 1995. I thought that the original animation was not played in cinemas.

I just want to compare the live-action movie's box office performance with the original animation in Japan as the movie comes out.

Edited by KevinPr

3 hours ago, RedX said:

The failures incredibly outnumber the successes unfortunately . Black Butler, Casshern, Fist of the North Star, Gatchaman. Oh god, Terra Formars. So many to name 

That still isn't true. It's just what Internet nerds say in an echo chamber to sound smart. The simple fact is if their were that many failures, you wouldn't see so many adaptations every year. You really think companies will just keep trying to make these things if they kept failing?

5 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

That still isn't true. It's just what Internet nerds say in an echo chamber to sound smart. The simple fact is if their were that many failures, you wouldn't see so many adaptations every year. You really think companies will just keep trying to make these things if they kept failing?

That wouldn't explain why we continue to see video game adaptations being pursued by film studios. The source material's popularity and film potential captures the eyes of executives and producers looking for a promising project. 

6 hours ago, RedX said:

Michael Pitt looks incredible as Kuze. He'll nail that character. He also looks like Mads here lol. The amount of detail that went into the production is exceptional. 

Yeah, even if story and script are meh, the visuals and score should make the experience worth it. I got the "art of" book over the weekend and yeah, the production design is absolutely fantastic. A cool tidbit about Kuze - there's a painting on his 'shell' that you can glimpse in the poster, that was drawn by Pitt. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, antovolk said:

https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1897568647180409&id=1804253793178562

They're releasing the opening 5 mins online tomorrow morning (9am UK)

Oh that's awesome, thank you for the info.

I might end up deciding whether I go to the theater for this or not with these 5 minutes.

Edited by Arlborn