grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

5 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

So your just discounting that 42% of critics liked it? 

Yeah, this. Still almost half of the critics liked this, some even loved it. if you loved it or at least really liked it then there are actually dozens of critics in there with similar opinion to yours, sometimes we forget that.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, AJG said:

Anime fans don't give a shit about live action adaptions regardless of whether their American or Japanese (just look at Attack on Titan, Assassination Classroom, Terraformers. I see people in the Anime community more shocked that these films exist rather than actually discussing them).

I think the ¥5bn that the Second Assassination Classroom movie did in Japan last year invalidates that, and the first Attack on Titan movie in 2015 did pretty well too. Anime in general is a niche thing anyway, even in Japan. 

There was definitely a way to make this movie work, but they just went the wrong way about doing this from day 1.

What's incredible is that most people fail to see how the film itself addresses cultural appropriation and white washing.

Spoiler

The Major's lost identity and lost connection to her family and past is personified by a synthetic, WHITE body she's trapped in.

Her new robotic body is a lie. Her European name is a lie. Her corporate "family" led by corrupt, white masters is a lie.

She defeats them (with her full "consent") and reclaims her Asian name, family, and identity. 

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I think the ¥5bn that the Second Assassination Classroom movie did in Japan last year invalidates that, and the first Attack on Titan movie in 2015 did pretty well too. Anime in general is a niche thing anyway, even in Japan. 

There was definitely a way to make this movie work, but they just went the wrong way about doing this from day 1.

Im talking about in the West, not Japan (Also didn't AoT Part 2 make half of what the first did?). Anime may be a niche but do western fans actually care about live action Anime adaptions in 2017? Outside of the Ruroni Kenshin films I've never seen much bother from fans about Live action adaptions, before or after release.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AJG said:

Im talking about in the West, not Japan (Also didn't AoT Part 2 make half of what the first did?). Anime may be a niche but do western fans actually care about live action Anime adaptions in 2017? Outside of the Ruroni Kenshin films I've never seen much bother from fans about Live action adaptions, before or after release.

We care, but nobody distributes them. The only one I've seen get a release here in the UK was the Attack on Titan movies. Even if it's just on HV or streaming, we still want to see a lot of them. 

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

15 of 100 highest-grossing movies in Japan are anime movies.

9 of 50 highest-grossing movies in Japan last year are anime movies.

Spirited Away is the highest-grossing movie in Japan.

Even a random anime film like Yo-Kai Watch almost beat SW:TFA in Japan in 2014.

But most of the highest-grossing anime movies are distributed by Studio Ghibli, so I don't know whether this is bad news or not.

Edited by KevinPr

4 minutes ago, KevinPr said:

But most of the highest-grossing anime movies are distributed by Studio Ghibli, so I don't know whether this is bad news or not.

Yokai Watch is huge in Japan. I'm not surprised that almost happened at all

4 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

Yokai Watch is huge in Japan. I'm not surprised that almost happened at all

Yeah! I don't understand how anime is a niche thing in Japan.

Pokemon, Doraemon, Case Closed (Detective Conan), One Piece, Dragon Ball. Even some animes like Love Live!, Yo-Kai Watch, Death Note, Lupin, Hunter x Hunter are the most popular and their anime movies did really good in Japan.

Just saw it. That's not my Ghost in the Shell. They have dumbed it down so much and changed the source material that there really is not much there. Visually its great but I think it needed a stronger director to pull it all together.

6/10

Edited by eXtacy
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, KevinPr said:

If you pay attention to Japanese culture in the slightest, you would know that in a day to day sense, anime is niche. Most shows are watched by comparatively few people outside of the big stuff like Dragonball Super and One Piece. 

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I think this will be headed for about $200m worldwide now.

Not good, no sequel.

But not the worst thing that's ever happened either.

I noticed in the opening credits there were four (or was it five?) major financing entities. Even if they all lose money, none of them will take a huge hit (assuming the risk is spread between them in a vaguely reasonable way).

23 hours ago, hegemony said:

Whoever's behind the Battle Angel adaptation has to be a bit worried now. GITS was somewhat known to non-anime fans, but Battle Angel is really niche. 

If it'll look as underwhelming as GITS then yes, they should be worried. But if they manage to make it look much more appealing then probably no.

3 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

If you pay attention to Japanese culture in the slightest, you would know that in a day to day sense, anime is niche. Most shows are watched by comparatively few people outside of the big stuff like Dragonball Super and One Piece. 

Hmmmm.. Can you explain more specific that "anime in Japan is niche in a daily sense"?

3 minutes ago, KevinPr said:

Hmmmm.. Can you explain more specific that "anime in Japan is niche in a daily sense"?

You get the odd movie that breaks out there, but for the most part, these are annual franchise movies like Pokemon, Doraemon and Detective Conan, that have been going on for years. 

Most of the anime that the community enjoys seasonally is restricted to late night airing on TV, because there isn't an audience to justify showing it during prime time. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Telerian said:

I noticed in the opening credits there were four (or was it five?) major financing entities. Even if they all lose money, none of them will take a huge hit (assuming the risk is spread between them in a vaguely reasonable way).

DreamWorks SKG/Amblin Partners probably will be the biggest loser but it's like The BFG which had a number of financial partners and distributors so the risk was spread out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

You get the odd movie that breaks out there, but for the most part, these are annual franchise movies like Pokemon, Doraemon and Detective Conan, that have been going on for years. 

Most of the anime that the community enjoys seasonally is restricted to late night airing on TV, because there isn't an audience to justify showing it during prime time. 

How about if there's a comparison between this niche anime thing in Japan and the popularity of American TV Series that are mostly aired in US during prime time? Are the TV series also considered niche as well?? Sorry, but I've never paid attention to the American television and their prime time programs, so I think there might be some correlation between the anime popularity in Japan and TV Series in the United States.

14 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I always like how shocked some people are when they find out that Anime is niche in Japan. Another thing that throws some fans off guard is the cost of actually buying anime over there. I used to know a kid that was such a fanboy he took up Japanese lessons just to import games and anime dvds early (it's good skill to have anyway, but that was pretty much the biggest reason). He finally took a trip to Japan and came back with nothing. He finally found out the high prices for imports online isn't due to import fees, and that one season of a show cost about £250. He coulda got the same bloody thing over here for £20 if he just waited a couple of months. Turns out the UK is the cheapest place to buy Anime on earth.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KevinPr said:

How about if there's a comparison between this niche anime thing in Japan and the popularity of American TV Series that are mostly aired in US during prime time? Are the TV series also considered niche as well?? Sorry, but I've never paid attention to the American television and their prime time programs, so I think there might be some correlation between the anime popularity in Japan and TV Series in the United States.

Sorry mate but Anime in Japan is a niche market. It's so niche that anime studios PAY to have their show on TV, usually at ridiculous hours in the morning like 1AM. A show would act like an infomercial, trying to promote merchandise related to the property. Some shonen shows like Naruto/OnePiece would be mainstream but IIRC they're seen in the same way westerners perceive something like Spongebob.