spizzer

AWESOME Weekend Estimates BOM | Lego 69.1M | MM 22.7M | RA 9.4M | FRZ 6.9M | VA 4.1M | TAM 5.5M |

Was the vampire craze even a thing? Pretty much all non-Twilight vampire movies flopped

That's because vampires are a metaphor for Hollywood.  They will both suck something dry until there is nothing left.

It's not so much the vampire thing (although that is the main culprit it seems) but it's more "YA stories about secret cults or societies where an ancient force has to be kept a secret."  

And you're right, pretty much every one of them have crashed and burned.

• Like 3

• Founder / Operator

The quick death of the vampire craze will just make Twilight's run that much more impressive as time goes on. Love it or hate it, it captured lightning in a bottle for an under-served audience at the perfect time.

• Like 9

The quick death of the vampire craze will just make Twilight's run that much more impressive as time goes on. Love it or hate it, it captured lightning in a bottle for an under-served audience at the perfect time.

There were vampires in Twilight ?

This is breaking news to me.

• Like 2

It is hilarious how all these studios are trying to replicate the success of Potter/Twilight/Hunger Games, when they can't even get to Percy Jackson level. Fucking hilarious.

• Like 6

From the Vampire's Academy thread:

I just watched The Covenant today.  It's a 2006 film with a pre-John Carter Taylor Kitsch.  It too is a story about a ancient secret society, this time witches, where good looking teenagers battle each other.  It was directed by Renny Harlin.  It made 23 million dollars in 2006.  VA looks to make about that much.  As others have mentioned, these films don't work.  Twilight was a straight up anomaly and all these producers who think it's an easy to formula to duplicate are finding out that it's not.  

BTW....Kitsch has apparently been buff since he was in his mother's womb.  I'm not sure how old he was in this movie, maybe 21 or 22, but he is ripped in here too.  

It is hilarious how all these studios are trying to replicate the success of Potter/Twilight/Hunger Games, when they can't even get to Percy Jackson level. Fucking hilarious.

But wouldn't you?  Try to explain why THG or Twilight did so well and the others don't.  It's really gotta be pissing off the producers who fail at this stuff.

• Like 1

It is hilarious but you can't blame them for trying.

There will be another Potter/Twilight/THG at one point, it s just a question of when.

It is just very rare.

• Like 1

It is hilarious but you can't blame them for trying.

There will be another Potter/Twilight/THG at one point, it s just a question of when.

It is just very rare.

Another movie that will gross around the same as Twilight 1 will open in about 1 month and a half  :ph34r: Or not :lol: I hope it does well.

Edited by CJohn

But wouldn't you?  Try to explain why THG or Twilight did so well and the others don't.  It's really gotta be pissing off the producers who fail at this stuff.

The Hunger Games | Twilight | Harry Potter

What do they all have in common? Being different from everything else it was released before them (don't bullshit me with the Battle Royale thing, you know very well what I am trying to say here  <_< :P ).

Honestly, I can see Divergent being another Percy Jackson.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

The problem is that everything is coming across as cheap imitations of Potter/Twilight/Hunger Games. Divergent is probably the one that is trying it's best to overcome that in marketing. Potter, Twilight and Hunger Games were the first of their type.

The Vampire Academy trailer starts as "In a school hidden from human eyes, there are people with abilities training" which just makes it seem like Harry Potter. Also, all of these books have sequel hooks built in which keep the story incomplete instead of a satisfying first movie. "Mortal Instruments" raised a million questions and answered none in the first (and hopefully only) movie made.

Take Potter, Twilight or Hunger Games and the first movie actually has a conclusion where you can leave the story and still feel satisfied.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

Mortal Instruments and The Host are funny because the studios believed they had big hits in hands. Marketing was insane, particulary for Mortal Instruments. That shit was everywhere. And started his marketing campaign in November 2012, when it was only going to be released in late August 2013. And the first teaser for The Host came out a full year before his release date (March 2012 first trailer, March 2013 release date).

At least Weinstein and WB let VA and BC die discretely.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

staying clear of any vampire discussion, you guys can be way mean to vampire lovers  :ph34r:

i saw an ad for a film named POMPEII with jon snow in it , have no idea what its about but hey i'm willing to give a try to his projects he's such a cutie!

Detergent will pull decent numbers, probably 150m dom at least I don't know, the books seem to have a real fan base.

Then people will hug trees after seeing the movie because of the Woodley.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1