kayumanggi

BLACK MASS | 09.18.15 | Warner Brothers | final domestic gross: $62,575,678

Awards wise this has always been Depp's showcase (and Edgerton, to a lesser extent). Could get a SAG ensemble nom, though- universal praise for the cast. Also, marketing is tremendous, it has a great hook, there's a market for it, and I expect this to be a pretty substantial hit. 80+. With momentum from that, I wouldn't completely rule out a BP nom if everything that hasn't screened yet turns out weak. But yea, this is gunning for Depp and Edgerton noms, and maybe makeup. That's the game. 

Already 15% at movietickets (the only ticket-selling site I trust. Should have trusted the constant 21% for The Visit too, than my prediction would have been better last week). So Black Mass jumped from 7% to 15% in a few hours.

I hoped for a fine start over 20-25M but with these percentages which I thought would not come before Wednesday, it should open much higher. 40M would be so cool but let's see.

Don't know if this comparison makes much sense but Legend also did very good in GB this weekend. Perhaps perfect fitting films at the moment. Plus Black Mass has J. Depp and many fans want to see him finally in an awesome film again. Me too.

Edited by el sid

Opening OVER 40m seems probable. I hope Depp gets the Oscar this year

Is he that good in this?

Is this that good?

I'd like that to be true. A great crime movie would be amazing. And I don't mean Donnie Brasco, a solid but seemingly derivative crime movie. Give me great.

• Like 1

Reviews aren't nearly as good as I was expecting quite honestly. Looks like BP nom chances are probably slim to none.

Considering how Depp's career has been going, it seems like pretty good reception to me. Not sure if I'll see it in theaters, but the footage of his performance looks a lot better than everything else he has done in recent years. Definitely will try to see it at some point.

• Like 1

Considering how Depp's career has been going, it seems like pretty good reception to me. Not sure if I'll see it in theaters, but the footage of his performance looks a lot better than everything else he has done in recent years. Definitely will try to see it at some point.

If this opens really well without amazing reviews then...

Depp...is back?

• Like 1

If this opens really well without amazing reviews then...

Depp...is back?

Probably not for long though given Alice 2 and Pirates 5 are sure to do him no favors, unless he's giving us a whole new take on both characters that managed to be interesting. Oh, and he also has Yoga Hosers on his slate with this gem of a plot synopsis:

Two teenage yoga enthusiasts team up with a legendary man-hunter to battle with an ancient evil presence that is threatening their major party plans

The movie was good in my opinion but Johnny Depp's performance is absolutely awesome. He easily carries the film and I think he should easily get an Oscar nomination. I've seen two films now in two days where I think the lead actors should get Oscar consideration.

• Like 3

Probably not for long though given Alice 2 and Pirates 5 are sure to do him no favors, unless he's giving us a whole new take on both characters that managed to be interesting. Oh, and he also has Yoga Hosers on his slate with this gem of a plot synopsis:

Two teenage yoga enthusiasts team up with a legendary man-hunter to battle with an ancient evil presence that is threatening their major party plans

It's a comedy, dude.