JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

Just got home from this :D

Fantastic film.... here are my final ratings of all the middle earth films...

LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring - 9.5 / 10

LOTR: The Two Towers - 9.0 / 10

LOTR: Return of the King - 10 / 10

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 8 / 10

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug - 8.5 / 10

The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies - 9.5 / 10

personally i loved the film and i fealt it finally returned the series back to the LOTR highs.

But then I am a Middle Earth fanatic ... so ummmm take my ratings with a grain of salt  :wub:  :ph34r:

:qotd:

• Like 5

We have a number........

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/the-hobbit-romps-away-with-boxing-day-gold-20141227-12eey4.html

5.59m it seems is the result on 605.

Good result... was hoping for more given it's the final installment.. but still should be able to make > 12m for the weekend i think. :D

Other results:

Big Hero 6 - 1.3m

Night at the Museum 3 - 1.1m

The Water Deviner - 864k

• Like 1

For comparisons:

BOFTA has posted the 2nd biggest boxing day and the 4th biggest opening day of all time here.

Top Opening Days (All Time)

1. Harry Potter : Deathly Hallows Part 2 - 7.092m (727 screens)

2. The Avengers - 6.004m (621 screens)

3. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 5.9m (631 screens)

4. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - 5.59m (605 screens)

5. The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug - 5.554m (628 screens)

LOTR Films:

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - 5.27m (453 screens)

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - 5.23m (424 screens)

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - 4.123m (406 screens)

not too bad at all given the slightly lower screen count - its per screen average was comparable to the first hobbit film.  Can it translate to a 40m+ finish though is the question ?  not really sure at this point.

• Like 3

despite being a finale it did not even hit 1st film number. That is not great. But I guess it will gross around the same as previous 2. But in USD it will go down as Aus $ has depreciated since DOS.

as i mentioned in my notes, it's screen count was down from both the first and second films and that essentially accounted for the difference between BOFTA and AUJ.  they got very similar per screen averages.  BOFTA was only slightly less that AUJ average.    so it wasn't all horrible.  still nothing to laugh at given it just made > 5m on a single day.  not many films do that here.   It's weekend result will look weak due to being only a 3 day... will be interesting how it travels in the next week or so ... 

How's BH6 compared to Ralph?

not good... Ralph i believe made 2.4m OD on boxing day 2012.

I'm not really sure what to make of that opening for BH6.  seems it hasn't clicked as well here as it did stateside.

Were all The Hobbit films released on Boxing Day? I never imagined it was so big in AUS. Seems like a good start, in line with previous installments.

All the middle earth films (LOTR & the hobbit) scored a boxing day release down under.  hence when they dominate the all time Opening days on boxing day and funnily enough all opening days.

(The Return of the King owned the OD record from 26th Dec 2003 until harry potter and the deathly hallows part 2 smashed it.)

• Like 1