Olive

Best Animated Feature-2014

After so many pests that have been made from haters just for this film be a fail at box office just because they disliked the first movie.

I doubt nothing. They are already using the same pests for the Oscars.

Not everyone who dislikes/felt meh towards HTTYD2 aren't necessarily people who disliked the first.  I LOVED the first and I wanted to like the 2nd, I just... I didn't really like it much. 

What? So...

"Dragons 2 wans't what I expect, so I hope those movies that I've never seen in my life win from it" 

?? 

After the excitement I had toward HTTYD2 before seeing it, I was really disappointed by the final product.  Which is a shame, because I was REALLY hoping to like it, I THOUGHT I would like it, but I just.... didn't.  

A few people I've talked to (including my BFF who I've found to have good judgement about films I'd like) said Lego was good (though some people have said it was bad as well), plus I've now seen part of it thanks to this streaming site, and honestly, I was more entertained by those minutes of The Lego Movie than most parts of HTTYD2—at least, it was funnier, and part of what made HTTYD1 great was the humor.  The other part that made the first film great, the primary part, was the relationship between Hiccup and Toothless, which we don't really see that much in the sequel.  Hiccup isn't the most interesting protagonist, the one of the two plot twists that wasn't blatantly spoiled in the trailer didn't have much of an emotional impression on me... I did like the song, and the ending animation was excellent, but I just didn't feel as connected to it as I hoped.  Also by including the song, as cute as it was, I almost felt as if they were trying to be Disney-esque, like they were trying to engage people more by putting a song in so it seemed a bit out of place, though I liked it.

As for BH6, the concept seems intriguing and it reminds me of The Incredibles, not that that's a bad thing, and it's coming off the heels of Frozen.  I'm not saying it'll be a masterpiece because Frozen was, as each movie stands alone on its own merit, but Disney is finally getting back on its feet and has risen into a new Renaissance now, whereas DWA seem to be relying just on sequels to their more popular franchises.  Shrek and Madagascar had some great movies (with the exception of Shrek 3 and Madagascar 2 IMO), and they had good, solid endings... and now they're apparently making more.  So I have a bit of confidence in at least that BH6 will be good. It could be terrible, who knows, but still.  

As it stands, from the films I've seen so far, Lego should win over HTTYD2, though another film this year like The Book of Life or BH6 may take that spot IMO.

Deserves the win? Geez, what if one, two, three or all four of The Boxtrolls, The Book of Life, Big Hero 6 and Song of the Sea turn out to be better than both?

I think The Panda meant that Lego deserves the win over HTTYD2, and saying that out of the animated movies that have been released so far it currently seems the front-runner to win, though that might change later. :)

Edited by FrozenUnicorn
  • Like 2

I haven't seen Lego yet... but I actually hope it or BH6 wins over HTTYD2.  Maybe it's because I went into it with the foreknowledge that 

one major character is killed by another major character

thanks to a magazine article (though it didn't say which characters were involved), but I just... didn't really feel much of an emotional impact.  HTTYD1, TS3, and Frozen were much better at that.

Agreed. I'm not sure though about which one is better Lego or HTTYD2. I have seen both but both didn't blow me away. I'm leaning towards HTTYD2, but not by much. Most of my friends prefer HTTYD2 though, I think it's because Lego is too reliant on pop culture jokes that don't really work that well in at least my country. I'm still waiting for BH6 though, it looks good.

• Like 2

At this point, Lego is probably in a better position to win. But at this point there are really only two films in consideration. There have been no other films released that have any realistic chance of a win. (I expect several will be put forth for consideration, but they aren't going to win or even get nominated.)

The rest of the year has at least five more films which can be heavy contenders, so we're still really heavily in wait and see mode. The narrative can change. Near the end of last year, it seemed that The Wind Rises was in the prime position, with Miyazaki's retirement playing into the story. A month later and the story was different and it was all about Frozen.

• Like 3

My predictions1) home- mark my words, this will be dreamworks big comeback2) the nut job- too many people will vote for this as a joke which means it will surprisingly get nominated3) rio 2- as they snubbed the first one, this one will get in4) legends of oz- Dorothy's return- clarius entertainment are a new studio so they will put out good quality films to start with5) planes: fire and rescue- first one got snubbed and this has a prime summer spot and will earn good box office meaning it will be remembered and get the last spot

No Lego movie?

My predictions1) home- mark my words, this will be dreamworks big comeback2) the nut job- too many people will vote for this as a joke which means it will surprisingly get nominated3) rio 2- as they snubbed the first one, this one will get in4) legends of oz- Dorothy's return- clarius entertainment are a new studio so they will put out good quality films to start with5) planes: fire and rescue- first one got snubbed and this has a prime summer spot and will earn good box office meaning it will be remembered and get the last spot

Uhm, no. What the hell? 

No Lego movie?

Uhm, no. What the hell?

Those predictions were jokes. I think I said that on page 2 and my real original predictions were on page 2 or 3My real predictions now are1. The Lego Movie2. The Boxtrolls3. Foreign animation4. Big Hero 65. HTTYD2Can really see 5 being replaced by book of life, penguins of madagascar or another foreign or unknown animation Edited by Films
  • Like 1

Those predictions were jokes. I think I said that on page 2 and my real original predictions were on page 2 or 3My real predictions now are1. The Lego Movie2. The Boxtrolls3. Foreign animation4. Big Hero 65. HTTYD2Can really see 5 being replaced by book of life, penguins of madagascar or another foreign or unknown animation

Yeah no. There's no way HTTYD2 is missing out on a nom unless the rest of the year's animated offerings are very (and I mean very) good. 90+RT offerings don't come around every day.

• Like 1

Brave won its Oscar even though it had the lowest RT (78%) score out all the animated movies it was competing against. Higher RT score means nothing.

Monsters University had a similar RT score (79%), and wasn't even nominated the following year with much weaker competition. Not sure what happened. :blink:

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

Brave won its Oscar even though it had the lowest RT (78%) score out all the animated movies it was competing against. Higher RT score means nothing.

No. That just means that a higher RT score doesn't guarantee a win. Not that a high RT score means nothing.

Monsters University had a similar RT score (79%), and wasn't even nominated the following year with much weaker competition. Not sure what happened. :blink:

I'm as confused about MU's snub as you are (although it obviously wasn't going to win). But there's a big difference between 79% and 90+%. A 90+% scorer is rare for mainstream movies in general, let alone an animated film. HTTYD2 is almost certain to get a nom.

Edited by Rukaio Alter

So I was curious about RT scores and academy noms. Here's the list, also noting Metacritic rating. Winners in bold.

I also marked notable exceptions each year, though some of the foreign films would have ended up in later years.

The quality of animation from 2007 to 2010 was pretty much off the charts. Even if it's slightly below that level, it's still pretty solid.

2011 is really interesting in that there were two films that had 90+ RT ratings, and neither got a nom. 2008 also had that happen, though WALL-E was also above that mark. So it's possible that it happens and something with a rating that high misses a nom, but I doubt it happens this year. In 2011, neither of the films made a big splash box office wise. Even as a disappointment, Dragon isn't going to be missed.

I did check earlier years, but it seems that until 2007, they were kinda scraping to even get 3 nominations. Shark Tale, anyone?

2013         RT Fresh  RT Rating  Metacritic
Ernest & Celestine 97   8.2   86
The Wind Rises     89   7.9   83
Frozen       89   7.7   74
Despicable Me 2   74   6.7   62
The Croods       70   6.5   55

(Monsters University)  78   6.8   65

Frankenweenie   87   7.6   74
ParaNorman       87   7.3   72
Wreck-it Ralph     86   7.4   72
The Pirates!       86   7.2   73
Brave       78   6.9   69

(Wolf Children)   92   8.3   72
(Madagascar 3)     79   6.8   60
(Rise of the Guardians)  74   6.5   57

Rango     88   7.6   75
Chico & Rita       86   7.6   76
Puss in Boots   84   6.8   65
A Cat in Paris     82   6.8   63
Kung Fu Panda 2   81   6.9   67

(Arthur Christmas)   91   7.2   69
(Winnie the Pooh)    90   7.2   74
(From Up on Poppy Hill)  83   7   71

Toy Story 3       99   8.8   92
How to Train Your Dragon 98     7.9        74
The Illusionist   90  8    82

(Arrietty)       94   7.6   80
(Tangled)     89   7.5   71

Up           98     8.6     88
Fantastic Mr. Fox    92   7.9     83
The Secret of Kells 91     7.6     81
Coraline       90     7.7     80
The Princess & the Frog  84     7.3  73

(Cloudy Meatballs)   87     7.3  66
(Summer Wars)   76   7     63

WALL-E       96  8.5  94
Bolt             88   7.2     67
Kung Fu Panda     87  7.2     73

(Waltz With Bashir) 96     8.4  91
(Ponyo)     92     7.6  86

Ratatouille     96     8.4   96
Persepolis       96  8.1     90
Surf’s Up     78     6.6     64

(The Simpsons Movie)   90     7.5  80
(Meet the Robinsons)   66   6.3     61

• Like 3

Nice. When Marnie Was There will probably be shooting for next year as well. Current prediction:

The LEGO Movie

How To Train Your Dragon 2

Tale of Princess Kaguya

Big Hero 6

The Boxtrolls

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 1

It is good but definitely surprised to see it get a higher RT than the likes of Rango, Coraline, Wreck It Ralph, ParaNorman and Frozen.

Lower average, though. I don't know if I'd argue it should have won over Rango. But it definitely should have been nominated, along with Winnie the Pooh. (Poppy Hill I'm not sure about. I like it, but it's not top tier Ghibli. It also may not have been eligible in '11, but rather in '12.)

• Like 1