Olive

Best Animated Feature-2014

I mean, just looking at critical ratings, even half of the critics who gave Boxtrolls a positive review just nudged it over the line to positive. 

It's very clearly playing the role of The Reader in a field of four other nominees with 90%+ ratings and the Lego Movie, which was as high as any of them. 

• Like 2

I think How To Train Your Dragon 2 has the win in the bag. 

I think so. The two smaller hand-drawn films will split that vote, Big Hero 6 doesn't seem to have any real heat behind it, and The Boxtrolls will get two votes from old men who really like cheese. 

• Like 1

I finally saw Dragons 2.  It's beautiful looking but I don't think nearly as good or emotional as the first.   The family stuff

(deadbeat runaway mom, dead father)

felt very undercooked and borderline manipulative rather than moving but the visuals and action are great, and the dragons especially Toothless are still fantastic.  I'd rank it above LEGO but below Book Of Life.

I haven't seen Song of the Sea yet but for those I have there's no competition in regards to quality  - it's Princess Kaguya by a landslide.  Now if only Academy members will watch it....

• Like 1

'How To Train Your Dragon 2′ Wins Annie Awards' Top Honor

We have an animated Oscar front-runner, ladies and gentlemen. How To Train Your Dragon 2 dominated the 42nd annual Annie Awards tonight. The DreamWorks Animation sequel won Best Animated Feature, Best Director for Dean DeBlois and four other trophies during the ceremony at UCLA’s Royce Hall. Its two studio rivals were way behind: Awards-season favorite but Oscar-snubbed The Lego Movie won only one award, for Phil Lord and Christopher Miller’s writing, and Disney’s Big Hero 6 won only for animated effects.

Since the Best Animated Feature Oscar category was introduced, nine of the 13 winners also took the top prize at the Annies. One of the years they didn’t agree was in 2010, when the Annies tapped How To Train Your Dragon over the eventual Academy Award winner – and Best Picture nominee – Toy Story 3. This year’s toon Oscar race had been considered wide open in the wake of the snub for presumed front-runner The Lego Movie. Rival studios were stunned by the lack of a nom for the Warner Bros pic and immediately started to ramp up their promo machines.

It’s a welcome dose of good news for DreamWorks Animation, which has endured a string of underperforming film that led to write-downs and eventual layoffs. Dragon 2, which had its world premiere at the Cannes, grossed only $177 million during its domestic run that began June 13. But international audiences went along for the ride, and Dragon 2‘s overseas success made it the No. 1 animated movie released in 2014 with $618 million worldwide.

List of winners here:

http://deadline.com/2015/01/how-to-train-your-dragon-2-annie-awards-winner-best-animated-feature-1201363894/

• Like 1

Big Hero 6 swept the animation awards at the VES last night:

But the biggest winner by far tonight was Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Big Hero 6. Coming in tied for the most nominations with five, the big squishy robot won them all, including Animation in an Animated Feature Motion Picture. Disney’s Imagineers also won for their Ratatouille ride at the company’s Paris theme park.

It’s a substantial consolation after winning just once at last week’s Annie Awards, for Animated Effects in an Animated Production. The Boxtrolls from Laika also had five nominations but went home empty-handed.

http://deadline.com/2015/02/dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-wins-ves-award-visual-effects-in-a-visual-effects-driven-movie-1201366485/

Edited by Sir Tiki