Impact

Best visual effects-2014

One of the things that held Inception back was that it wasn't even a contender for any acting categories.  If McConaughey or Chastain or whoever manage to get traction it could finally help Nolan.

Not with that script they won't.

Godzilla

Interstellar

Jupiter Ascending

TASM2 should get nominated but prob will not. 

Transformers 4?

wierd that if a big cgi film gets bad reviews or does not become a big hit, it rarely gets nominated.  What are they looking for in visual effects???

I guess that 2 December films will make use of technology to tell a dramatic story and get the other 2 nominations.

Godzilla

Interstellar

Jupiter Ascending

TASM2 should get nominated but prob will not. 

Transformers 4?

wierd that if a big cgi film gets bad reviews or does not become a big hit, it rarely gets nominated.  What are they looking for in visual effects???

I guess that 2 December films will make use of technology to tell a dramatic story and get the other 2 nominations.

No, its special effects were god-awful, that CGI was flat out terrible in spots.

• Like 4

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, the first was nominated and I'm guessing the effects will be upped in this oneEdge of Tomorrow, some of the best visual effects I've seen so far this year. I will break legs if it ain't nominatedThe Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies, seeing as how the first two were nominated I don't think any Middle Earth films will be snubbed in this categoryInterstellar, some shots reminded me of 2001 in the trailer. This is my guess as who the winner will be.Transformers: Age of Extinction, as this year is weak in this category this may be the fall back and the one with the least amount of votes.

Edited by Rorschach

In Contention which is probably the biggest prediction site along with AwardsDaily has these 5 films as the current front runners:

1.Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes

2.Interstellar 

3.The Hobbit 3

4.Godzilla

5.X-Men DOFP.

I would faint if DOFP becomes the first X-Men film nominated for an Academy Award.

The tricky thing is,X2 would have become one,had the visual effects category had 5 nominees in 2003.It made the short list of 7 films and it would have competed with Hulk,Peter Pan and Terminator 3 for the remaining two spots.

It certainly would have made it over Hulk and Peter Pan.

So far locks1.Dawn of the Planet of the Apes2.GodzillaStrong Possibilities3.Interstellar4.Hobbit 35.Guardians of the Galaxy6.Captain America: The Winter SoldierPossiblilities7.X-Men: Days of Future Past8.Exodus (need to see more from it)9.Noah10.Into the StormLong Shots11.Trans4mers12.Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles13.Edge of Tomorrow14.Maleficent15.The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt 1

• Like 1