ddddeeee

Best Original Score - 2014

Anyways, I think Newman and Elfman haven't done anything really outstanding either in the last few years. IMHO, the last trully amazing Newman score is Wall-E, and I usually have problems listening to Elfman score's as a whole.

Pixar's films really allow Newman's emotional cues to shine. I think his best chance at a win will be next year with TGD.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Desplat, Elfman and Newman are the three composers nowadays that I can always depend on to do something interesting at least. And if they're asked whose music they love nowadays they always name drop each other. Desplat was asked once about recent scores he wishes he could take credit for and he said Elfman's Milk and Alice scores, Elfman said Desplat's Birth.

I ship them.

• Like 3

Just heard the OST to How to Train your Dragon 2. It's so beautiful, it physically hurts. In a very long time I haven't heard a score that epic, poignant and beautiful as this one.

The fact that his score for the 1st movie, lost an oscar to The Social Network is a crime against humanity.

Edited by pepper83
  • Like 5

Just heard the OST to How to Train your Dragon 2. It's so beautiful, it physically hurts. In a very long time I haven't heard a score that epic, poignant and beautiful as this one.

The fact that his score for the 1st movie, lost an oscar to The Social Network is a crime against humanity.

This post... If I could only like it over and over.

The Academy often makes weird / stupid decisions in the Score award.

Frida over Road to Perdition, Catch me if you can and The Hours?

Finding Neverland over Passion of the Christ, The Village and HP3?

Brokeback Mtn over Memoirs of a Geisha and Pride & prejudice?

Babel over everything else?

Slumdog over Benjamin Button or Wall-E?

Round Midnight over The Mission?

Or how they failed to award Ennio Morricone even while nominating him 4 times. He is this category's Stanley Kubrick / Peter O'Toole. 

I'll always stand up for TSN though. Reznor & Ross should have won a second one for TGWTDT, too.

• Like 3

The composer of Around the World in 80 Days was nominated 14 times before he won for 80 Days.

Sadly he died before he won!

Thomas Newman currently holds the record for the most losses in this cat for someone alive.

• Like 1

Talking only of blockbuster scores, the one soundtrack to make me pin back my ears so far has been Alexandre Despalt's Godzilla. I felt Captain America, X-Men and Edge of Tomorrow were all serviceable but left little impression. It's strange, of that group of films Godzilla is probably the most flawed, but its score shines way above them.

I'm expecting good things from Michael Giacchino's Dawn of the Planet of the Apes score though.  

• Like 1