ddddeeee

Best Original Score - 2014

I liked some parts of Interstellar but a lot of it was second rate Philip Glass. Zimmer's getting 'innovative' praise for what other composers have been doing for decades.

His track wasn't really innovative, but it was a strong and unique track that stood out compared to others this year.  However, I think Fury is the best I've heard this year so far, it blends better and he does some really things with it.

Birdman's score is cool as well, being pretty much improvisational drums, with the flight scenes being symphony. 

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

I liked some parts of Interstellar but a lot of it was second rate Philip Glass. Zimmer's getting 'innovative' praise for what other composers have been doing for decades.

This.

People praise Zimmer for being innovative even if he's aping what Philip Glass and Arvo Pärt (and other minimalists composers inspired by Glass like Clint Mansell) have been doing for a long time (Glass works on the qatsi movies for hence, even Zach Snyder used that style of music approach for Watchmen's sequences, hardly fresh!)

Interstellar score was too distracting at times. You'd have some quiet dialogue and the music was overbearing like trying to be eerie and epic cranked to 11 with that big fat organ playing one major chord quoted from Also Sprach Zarathustra. *nudge wink 2001*

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

The imitation game score is quite good. Desplat is gonna be nommed for this

Birdman score is a WTF for me. A drum experiment  that I will have to listen again

Fury score is noticiably less memorable than Gravity. Won't be nominated

Gone girl score is... not sure also what to think about it

Theory of everything is classy. Could really be nominated

I've not listened to Zimmer's score for Interstellar

Damn, I really miss Horner, Williams, Newton Howard, Goldsmith, Morricone...