Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

"I've hired the best artists and technicians in the world to design these films," explains Cameron. "There will be such a richness of imagery that I think people just won't be able to imagine it in advance, but it will just seem right when they finally see it."

• Like 6
  • Astonished 1

37 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

"I've hired the best artists and technicians in the world to design these films," explains Cameron. "There will be such a richness of imagery that I think people just won't be able to imagine it in advance, but it will just seem right when they finally see it."

Can we please stop pretending that the first Avatar's world was anything but basic af? A jungle with some fluorescent lights and floating rocks, big deal. Literally any of the random planets they showed in Revenge of the Sith were cooler and had more creativity.

• Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 2

2 minutes ago, Hunch said:

Can we please stop pretending that the first Avatar's world was anything but basic af? A jungle with some fluorescent lights and floating rocks, big deal. Literally any of the random planets they showed in Revenge of the Sith were cooler and had more creativity.

George Lucas on this exact topic (The Revenge of the Sith director)

"If you do what a lot of people do, it just becomes generic. It’s just the same old thing. One person I can point to who is great at world building is Jim Cameron. Avatar was brilliant. It’s hard to design worlds and come up with stories and have them operate around it. You have to know the rules on everything. If you don’t play by the rules, then it becomes just a mishmash. If you come up with something new, you have to say what all the rules are about it."

You may see youself out now Hunch

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

George Lucas on this exact topic (The Revenge of the Sith director)

"If you do what a lot of people do, it just becomes generic. It’s just the same old thing. One person I can point to who is great at world building is Jim Cameron. Avatar was brilliant. It’s hard to design worlds and come up with stories and have them operate around it. You have to know the rules on everything. If you don’t play by the rules, then it becomes just a mishmash. If you come up with something new, you have to say what all the rules are about it."

You may see youself out now Hunch

I kind of object to the notion of Avatar being something new when the plot is Dances with Pocahontas in space.

Edited by Hunch

5 hours ago, Royce said:

Don't people get exhausted parroting the same old tired "But Pocahontas!" "But Dances with Wolves!" generic comment? Now that's basic and unoriginal

Image result for baah sheep

What? 2+2=4 is basic and unoriginal, yet true. Should we stop saying it?

• Thanks 1

If I say TLK is Hamlet with lions, does that make it terrible?
> insert thinking raptor meme here.

That line of thinking has always been a terrible argument. Recycled stories are indeed annoying, but when people can only bring the same two samples over and over, it's even embarrassing to read. I'm not trying to be insulting, but I'm sick of reading that as if it was a good argument, and I rarely open Avatar threads.

Edited by WhiteWings
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WhiteWings said:

If I say TLK is Hamlet with lions, does that make it terrible?
> insert thinking raptor meme here.

That line of thinking has always been a terrible argument. Recycled stories are indeed annoying, but when people can only bring the same two samples over and over, it's even embarrassing to read. I'm not trying to be insulting, but I'm sick of reading that as if it was a good argument, and I rarely open Avatar threads.

Well that's one of the reasons why I think TLK will go nowhere near the lavish predictions that are being thrown around here. It's rehash of a rehash. So yeah, I think it's a valid argument.

• Knock It Off 1

53 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

Well that's one of the reasons why I think TLK will go nowhere near the lavish predictions that are being thrown around here. It's rehash of a rehash. So yeah, I think it's a valid argument.

I wasn't even talking about the remake. The way these live action remakes are managing to still somehow keep getting made doesn't quite help your argument either so I wouldn't even bring them up.

Edited by WhiteWings

17 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

This isn't an understatement. The people working on these are the best of the best. 

8 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

Now this is a tease!

I cannot wait! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

This looks so fucking epic. Imagine avatar 2 with those kind of footage. Holy f**** .

"There’s one big problem with this ride The fact that it has to end"

"i would kill to live in a world like that... even if it was just for a minute"

"this ride made me cry..."

"Waited 210 minutes for the ride and every second was worth waiting for this ride.... it will be forever the greatest of all time..."

T

And avatar haters will be like " nahh there are only handful people out there who give a f*** about avatar or remember it. "

Here is a better quality.

Edited by dignam
  • Like 6
  • Astonished 1

36 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

That ride is something else. 

You sure? Cuz they mentioned "avatar flight of passage" in your link and when i search for flight of passage in youtube i get those videos.

Edited by dignam
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dignam said:

You sure? Cuz they mentioned "avatar flight of passage" in your link and when i search for flight of passage in youtube i get those videos.

I think JCS uses an idiomatic expression in this context. It means "That ride is so impressive, there's nothing like it, it's a sight to behold".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dashrendar44 said:

I think JCS uses an idiomatic expression in this context. It means "That ride is so impressive, there's nothing like it, it's a sight to behold".

🤣 i guess you are right 😌

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, dignam said:

I meant it's something distinctly different from everything else, not that it isn't flight of passage. 

• Like 5