Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Pictures from the table read might actually include information that we previously didn't know about - although I am just clutching at straws. 

Take a look at Sigourney's placeholder card  - I think her character title is 'Eywa'. Also our first look at the scripts and what looks to be a new or previously unseen (?) LS logo: 

60538136_613253575825296_292474223887961

60587294_613253555825298_422274039005629

60825394_613253589158628_718470306892611

• Like 6

5 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Please tell me you're being purposefully dense Wang. Any one with any knowledge knows that many games, including the two listed, take massive inspiration from Aliens, of which much of the tech in Avatar is also derived from as they're all from the same mind. 

No one would claim Starcraft was inspired by Avatar but there's certainly a claim to be made that they share similar design DNA thanks to Aliens. 

You can't say that one thing was influenced by Aliens, therefore it is also influenced by Avatar :hahaha:

When I think about HEAVY INFLUENCE, I think of this:

Almost everything about this intro heavily influenced by Aliens.

The opening shot in space

The ship look almost identical to the Sulaco!

The music

The tone

The Space Marines

The CO is basically Apone for the love, lol

The game is one giant bug hunt, you kill THOUSANDS of aliens

Aside from a few similar designs, there's not much connection between Avatar and Titanfall 2/Anthem.  The story/tone/scope aren't even in the same ballpark.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

You can't say that one thing was influenced by Aliens, therefore it is also influenced by Avatar :hahaha:

When I think about HEAVY INFLUENCE, I think of this:

Almost everything about this intro heavily influenced by Aliens.

The opening shot in space

The ship look almost identical to the Sulaco!

The music

The tone

The Space Marines

The CO is basically Apone for the love, lol

The game is one giant bug hunt, you kill THOUSANDS of aliens

Aside from a few similar designs, there's not much connection between Avatar and Titanfall 2/Anthem.  The story/tone/scope aren't even in the same ballpark.

Your reading comprehension is something to be desired. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Pictures from the table read might actually include information that we previously didn't know about - although I am just clutching at straws. 

Take a look at Sigourney's placeholder card  - I think her character title is 'Eywa'. Also our first look at the scripts and what looks to be a new or previously unseen (?) LS logo: 

60538136_613253575825296_292474223887961

60587294_613253555825298_422274039005629

60825394_613253589158628_718470306892611

Huh, if that's the case then I'm guessing Eywa is going to speak through a projection of Grace or something. Cool!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Your reading comprehension is something to be desired. 

What did I fail to comprehend?  

The original post claimed that the two games were 'heavily influenced by Avatar' and I disagreed.

You come back claiming I have to be dense to not understand that many games are influenced by Aliens(not the movie in question and I see where you are going, but okay), and much of the tech in Avatar is very similar seeing as how they are by the same person.

You then go on to say that Starcraft wouldn't be considered inspired by Avatar, but they share the same DNA because of Aliens.  

That's literally the same statement from you twice, but both mention Avatar influence via tech/designs similar to Aliens.  

So I ask you this, isn't it just easier to say Titanfall 2/Anthem has more influence from Aliens as opposed to Avatar?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

The original post claimed that the two games were 'heavily influenced by Avatar' and I disagreed.

You come back claiming I have to be dense to not understand that many games are influenced by Aliens(not the movie in question and I see where you are going, but okay), and much of the tech in Avatar is very similar seeing as how they are by the same person.

You then go on to say that Starcraft wouldn't be considered inspired by Avatar, but they share the same DNA because of Aliens.  

That's literally the same statement from you twice, but both mention Avatar influence via tech/designs similar to Aliens.  

So I ask you this, isn't it just easier to say Titanfall 2/Anthem has more influence from Aliens as opposed to Avatar?  

So you do understand what I'm saying.

gettyimages-453226900-copy-removebg-prev

Sure it could be easier to say that, but it may also be vaguely false, as the rain forests seem to give a distinctly Avatar vibe.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Sure it could be easier to say that, but it may also be vaguely false, as the rain forests seem to give a distinctly Avatar vibe.  

Sure, but that's only one part of the larger game.  Almost everything else about the game has nothing to do with Avatar, lol.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

I played titanfall 2,  first thing that come to my mind was "fu**** this is a thantor."

It starts exactly @ 15:23min, everyone who says this is just a inspiration is out of his mind, this is nearly a 100% copy of the thantor. Also the flying creatures are nearly a 100% copy of the banshees.

And regarding anthem, maybe this is not so heavily inspired like titanfall, but the influence is there. Just look at those arcs at the beginning (and the landscape) exactly the same like in anthem.

Anthem landscape:

2l76cpe9.jpg

Edited by dignam
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

1 hour ago, dignam said:

I played titanfall 2,  first thing that come to my mind was "fu**** this is a thantor."

It starts exactly @ 15:23min, everyone who says this is just a inspiration is out of his mind, this is nearly a 100% copy of the thantor. Also the flying creatures are nearly a 100% copy of the banshees.

And regarding anthem, maybe this is not so heavily inspired like titanfall, but the influence is there. Just look at those arcs at the beginning (and the landscape) exactly the same like in anthem.

Anthem landscape:

2l76cpe9.jpg

So then I guess you agree with those that think Cameron ripped off was heavily influenced by Roger Dean?  

A few similar designs don't imply heavy influence.  I'm sure that most of the staff that made these games saw Avatar(most of the world did, as you guys remind us over and over).  Maybe they did think about that as they were designing those creatures, maybe it was subconscious? It's just that when I think about the entirety of Titanfall, a game I fucking LOVE, Avatar is not the movie that comes to mind as a huge influence.

But apparently that's just me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

This is patently false. It was even obliterated in court. Nice try though Wang. 

I'm just saying that one person could look at the art of Roger Dean and think that some of the designs of Avatar were inspired by it if they didn't know better.  That's how the whole thing started!

On 6/12/2019 at 10:54 PM, FrozenUnicorn said:

Huh, if that's the case then I'm guessing Eywa is going to speak through a projection of Grace or something. Cool!

I'm still putting my money on them eventually downloading Grace from the world data center (Eywa). They did upload her, probably. :sparta:

Jim gave himself a lot of room with the possibilities of reincarnation, hive mind, collective consciousness, etc. Eywa is a pretty genius plot device. Potentially as good or better than "the Matrix", which didn't go deep into the possibilities of hijacking, backing up or duplicating human minds (only Mr.Smith did all this, a program).

Edited by WhiteWings
  • Like 2

Aliens traumatized an entire generation of artists for its world building.

In 1986, nothing looked like Aliens, so many concepts showed for the first time on screen.

Edited by The Futurist