Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 minutes ago, theultimatebiu said:

Also, TEAM ALIEN.

Aliens is a fantastic movie, but I hate how they take the 'perfect killing machine' and turn them to be pretty easy to kill. I hate that they turn them into a mindless horde protecting their queen.

In Alien, the xenomorph is intelligent, tactile and patient. It made it scarier. The mystery behind this monster was its power.

Aliens is a great action movie, one of the greatest. Its build up and tension is great but too many characters feel wafer thin and the fear factor isn't felt, until we meet the queen.

No

&

No

annnnnnnnnd

Nope.

:)

:P

Aliens is a really enjoyable, well-made '80s blockbuster, packed with archetypical characters and one-liners... And there's nothing wrong with that.

Alien, on the other hand, is a timeless masterpiece. It is better shot, better written with well-realized and more nuanced characters, it has better art-direction and an atmosphere that's simply unmatched.

Imo.

• Like 1

Alien is a really enjoyable, well-made '70s horror-thriller, packed with archetypical characters and great ambience... And there's nothing wrong with that.

Aliens, on the other hand, is a timeless masterpiece. It is better shot, better written with well-realized and more nuanced characters, it has better art-direction and an atmosphere that's simply unmatched.

Imo.

;)

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, theultimatebiu said:

Also, TEAM ALIEN.

Aliens is a fantastic movie, but I hate how they take the 'perfect killing machine' and turn them to be pretty easy to kill. I hate that they turn them into a mindless horde protecting their queen.

In Alien, the xenomorph is intelligent, tactile and patient. It made it scarier. The mystery behind this monster was its power.

Aliens is a great action movie, one of the greatest. Its build up and tension is great but too many characters feel wafer thin and the fear factor isn't felt, until we meet the queen.

Exactly this.

First time I watched Aliens I was a little disapointed how "easily" they killed the monsters compared to what a pain it was to kill just one in the the first movie.

Of course a team of trained soldiers can fight better than the Nostromo crew but still I enjoy this idea much less.

The rest in Aliens is fantastic, it's scary because of atmosphere, because of the nest, because of newt etc...

Team Alien though sorry.

• Like 1

Alien is probably top ten all time for me, just because the film has an atmosphere to it that is more palpable than almost any other in any film I've seen. I can watch  that movie over and over. Aliens is (nearly) Cameron's best and one hell of a ride, but I can't put it ahead of Alien because it is not so utterly captivating for me as that film.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

The irony in all this though is when you think about the monster Alien of the first movie, you picture the Aliens of Aliens in your mind because you barely see the monster in the first movie.

The first movie doesn't have a full realized shot of the monster.

Only shadows, shades & parts.

So you picture in your mind the Cameron/Winston versions that we gloriously see in Aliens without even realizing it.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Alien is a really enjoyable, well-made '70s horror-thriller, packed with archetypical characters and great ambience... And there's nothing wrong with that.

Aliens, on the other hand, is a timeless masterpiece. It is better shot, better written with well-realized and more nuanced characters, it has better art-direction and an atmosphere that's simply unmatched.

Imo.

;)

The one thing about the 2 that isn't debatable is that Alien is a better looking movie.  Not surprising though given Mr. Art School Riddlers.

10 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The irony in all this though is when you think about the monster Alien of the first movie, you picture the Aliens of Aliens in your mind because you barely see the monster in the first movie.

The first movie doesn't have a full realized shot of the monster.

Only shadows, shades & parts.

So you picture in your mind the Cameron/Winston versions that we gloriously see in Aliens without even realizing it.

That's the beauty of it, you are always more scared of what you don't see.

I remembered when I saw Silent Hill and the Siren started and all went dark I was fucking scared, then they showed the grotesque monsters and all of a sudden I found them ridiculous and the movie went on.

Also we actually do see the monster at the end of Alien, and I saw the movies as an adult starting with the first one so nope. Didn't picture nothing in my head and I loved the movie for all different kind of reasons.

I also love Aliens, just differently (and less but it doesn't matter).

I could also argue that you liked the 2nd because of the first and you know I could find good arguments but what's the point ?

Both are great, some prefer one, some prefer the other. But there is no definite better one, and the 1st is not good because of the second, that's grotesque, like the Silent Hill monsters.

Edited by RascarCapat
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Alien is a lucky B movie that stumbled on Giger s illustrations.

Aliens is a movie of grand designs & thoughts.

Ok you just made my "Troll" list and I will never argue with you again.

That or you have no idea what a makes a movie good.

Or you are Kal playing with another account and then you are a Troll blinded by fanboism that doesn't recognize a good movie when he sees one.

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

ALIENS is better, yo. 

Hmm... Hmm... I'm conflicted about which is better. They're both really good, but in very different ways.

I would say, though, that while Alien is Ridley Scott's best film (by a pretty considerable margin, IMO), Aliens is NOT Cameron's best.

• Like 1