Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

The trouble with the LotR comparisons is that it had rigorous source material as a jumping off point. Telling a compelling, original story over 4 films is bloody hard, and shooting any films back to back always rings alarm bells in the quality department.

I wasn't exactly excited for Avatar sequels anyway, but I'm almost getting intrigued at the car crash potential here. (I know, I know, it's Cameron, can't doubt him at this point, etc, but come on: 4 sequels ferchrissake.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cookieleeann said:

I will never doubt James Cameron again. He seems to always deliver. This time will be no different. I wasn't the biggest fan of the 1st film but I'm actually looking forward to the sequel.

I never doubt him, but these are just the only movies of his  that I am not looking forward to

• Like 2

I never doubt him, but these are just the only movies of his  that I am not looking forward to

I mean I much rather these not be the only films he will work on in the future but it looks like we will only get Avatar films. So I guess I've come to terms of not looking forward to anything else by him.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

I feel the danger in shooting these 4 films concurrently is a risk. 

That the vault worth of money made on Avatar could possibly lead to a false sense of lasting fandom.

Sometimes the GA is on the same page as the internet movie boards, sometimes it's not.

If only the anecdotal folks don't show up and GA still cares, then they will have done well.

However, if the GA has lost it's luster with Avatar and doesn't care to come back like we see on FB threads, YouTube Comments and MSG boards then money could be lost. 

LOTR was a risk and it paid off, 3 films at once. No sure thing it would take off, built in book audience or not but it had generations of those. Avatar does not have generations of fans that grew up on the material. 

There's absolutely no risk of losing money. They are the sequels to the biggest movie ever (unadjusted), the director is Jim *frigging* Cameron. They might not hit a home run again but losing money? Nah...

• Like 3

The trouble with the LotR comparisons is that it had rigorous source material as a jumping off point. Telling a compelling, original story over 4 films is bloody hard, and shooting any films back to back always rings alarm bells in the quality department.

I wasn't exactly excited for Avatar sequels anyway, but I'm almost getting intrigued at the car crash potential here. (I know, I know, it's Cameron, can't doubt him at this point, etc, but come on: 4 sequels ferchrissake.)

I'm sure any reservation about this venture has been thoroughly addressed. I don't see any upside to expecting this to backfire

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm sure any reservation about this venture has been thoroughly addressed.

By whom? Many people on this thread are bewildered by the prospect of this many films back to back.

(It's a given it'll all be wildly profitable, it's the potential quality that's more interesting at this point.)

• Community Manager
Just now, Telemachos said:

I think looking at it through the lens of "a bunch of sequels" -- while understandable -- is the wrong approach.

Looking at it as Cameron's effect to tell something along the lines of his DUNE or his HYPERION or his FOUNDATION is more apt, IMO.

So his Star Wars?

:qotd:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

No, because Lucas was basically making it up as he went. :P

Lucas had done an Outline for the 6 films we know. He was later quoted saying he filled in ep7-9 on that Outline which is what Disney was working from in part.

He's on the record as saying he chose to start with Episode 4 cause it seemed the most feasible with the effects/cgi of the time.

Lucas knew what he wanted to do so it's a fair comparison. 

• Like 2

By whom? Many people on this thread are bewildered by the prospect of this many films back to back.

(It's a given it'll all be wildly profitable, it's the potential quality that's more interesting at this point.)

What I mean is I'm sure Cameron knows full well what he's doing here. Even if he announced ten sequels I'd still say that (assuming he could live long enough)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Lucas had done an Outline for the 6 films we know...

He did, but that outline was wildly different from what ended up on screen. I'm not knocking Lucas for this, but the SW story as it existed in the 80s was basically made first as a single film, and then as two additional sequels. Then, much later, he re-worked some of his original concepts to develop the PT... which (ironically) feels like it was made a sequel at a time.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

He did, but that outline was wildly different from what ended up on screen. I'm not knocking Lucas for this, but the SW story as it existed in the 80s was basically made first as a single film, and then as two additional sequels. Then, much later, he re-worked some of his original concepts to develop the PT... which (ironically) feels like it was made a sequel at a time.

But that's how the film industry works! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

But that's how the film industry works! 

Until now. :P

Not to poke at the PT again, but seriously, HP and LOTR were already showing how a story arc could be planned/executed over multiple movies, and yet the PT still feels like they waited for each one to be a success before greenlighting the next.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

Until now. :P

Reveal hidden contents

To be fair those were adaptations.

• Like 1