Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

7 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Early prediction

300m domestic

2 Billion overseas

but 4 sequels may be a bit much

Domestic is too low and OS too high. I doubt even China will explode way beyond Avatar and many markets have collapsed since Avatar. 3D was a new thing when Avatar opened, Now many countries hate 3D. That will lead to lower 3D for sure.

I am not predicting OS until close to release(I am not buying 2018 release for now) but domestically its dropping big. Its definitely not part of pop culture for the sequel to explode after so long.

Cameron really didn't slam the new SW, he just said that he liked the older ones better.  He also said that George is a friend of his, so he's naturally going to be in George's corner.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Cameron really didn't slam the new SW, he just said that he liked the older ones better.  He also said that George is a friend of his, so he's naturally going to be in George's corner.

I dont really see that a big problem even if he really did slam TFA. I would say Lucas, Spielberg and Cameron are the only three right now in this business that "earned" the position to slam TFA. Any other director wont be able to escape the "go make your own fucking highest grossing film of all time, then we can talk" argument.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 3

Cameron aka imbuing archetypal storytelling with innovation and constant envelope pusher didn't like JJ's SW aka old hat rank xerox simulacra. Dun dun dun...What a surprise. SW7 was a corporate textbook to refuse the idea of going forward whether it be technology or storytelling-wise and instead stuck inside an idealized, sterile and nostalgia-ridden cosy paradigm. SW7 was a fanboy movie waxing himself about being a SW fanboy. Nothing more.

That's why I'll always value artists like Cameron, Lucas and Spielberg over the likes of JJ. They took their inspirations to push the envelope, not recreating their childhood toy fantasy verbatim for the sake of it without meaning and resonance.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Cameron aka imbuing archetypal storytelling with innovation and constant envelope pusher didn't like JJ's SW aka old hat rank xerox simulacra. Dun dun dun...What a surprise. SW7 was a corporate textbook to refuse the idea of going forward whether it be technology or storytelling-wise and instead stuck inside an idealized, sterile and nostalgia-ridden cosy paradigm. SW7 was a fanboy movie waxing himself about being a SW fanboy. Nothing more.

That's why I'll always value artists like Cameron, Lucas and Spielberg over the likes of JJ. They took their inspirations to push the envelope, not recreating their childhood toy fantasy verbatim for the sake of it without meaning and resonance.

But did you like it?

5 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

ça fait plaisir de te relire, Dash !

:)

• Like 1

Dash was never going to like the film, he was hating on it long before it was released. Besides, he originally stated he would refuse to watch it, I always knew he was bullshitting 

Needless to say, don't take his opinion seriously 

Edited by Jessie

1 hour ago, Jessie said:

Dash was never going to like the film, he was hating on it long before it was released. Besides, he originally stated he would refuse to watch it, I always knew he was bullshitting 

I didn't watch in cinemas nor paid for it, a friend had it on Blu-ray and watched it recently out of boredom with a couple of beers. It was even more boring than not watching it. Sour grapes much?

1 hour ago, Jessie said:

Needless to say, don't take his opinion seriously 

I don't take a brit's word seriously at all ever since last friday either so we're even. Goodbye farewell...

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Touche.. Read his post which is exactly what's pointed out and why I said what I said.. There isn't 1 thing wrong with my reading comprehension.. He's insinuating the movie could make 300M OW more than 300M Domestic and sorry, but that's just not happening..

"could make 300M OW more than 300M Domestic"

I'm sorry you've completely lost me, what ever this means it isn't what he meant.

What he meant was the range between 300m and Opening Weekend value, will be less than the range between 300m and the Final Dom.

For example if it made $150m on the opening weekend then finished on $500m Dom, the opening weekend would be closer to $300m than the Final Dom.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

So now JJ is in that exalted list. You need to have all time highest BO grosser to slam another record breaking movie. hmm

JJ didn't make his own highest grossing film of all time. Let's not kid ourselves by saying JJ is why TFA broke records.

7 hours ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:
16 hours ago, vc2002 said:

300m will be closer to the OW than the DOM total.

This movie is not making no 300M OW..

1 hour ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Touche.. Read his post which is exactly what's pointed out and why I said what I said.. There isn't 1 thing wrong with my reading comprehension.. He's insinuating the movie could make 300M OW more than 300M Domestic and sorry, but that's just not happening..

iWKad22.jpg

a4uo7WF.gif

ANqbAAw.gif

Edited by vc2002

Lol at americans thinking thay are some sort of educated movie goers by seeing Force Awakens 3 or 4 times, making it one of the biggest hits in US box office history and wishing to death that Avatar 2 is gonna flop or disappoint or drop hard.

I just can't ...

:D:lol:

• Like 7

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Lol at americans thinking thay are some sort of educated movie goers by seeing Force Awakens 3 or 4 times, making it one of the biggest hits in US box office history and wishing to death that Avatar 2 is gonna flop or disappoint or drop hard.

I just can't ...

:D:lol:

the news about Cameron's view on TFA somehow became really widely reported, lots of pissed fanboys are at it again with dances with smurfs, and the pocahontas in space thing, then concluded that Avatar is shit, completely ignoring that his comment focused on 'visual imagination', really gives me a headache-_-

• Like 2