Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Okay, was reading through some of the very first posts on this thread, there was a few of "It will definitely make it's 2014 release date" which obviously it didn't even start filming by then :hahaha:

BUT BUT BUT, I found this gem:

On 10/11/2011 at 1:42 AM, vc2002 said:

You know this is probably the only time in the history that 500m DOM would be considered as a a disappointment lol

And little did this guy know that The Last Jedi was to exist! Plus, that made 600m and yet people consider it a disappointment (Technically it's brilliant but under-expectations. Let's not get into that in this thread though)

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Telehilation said:

None of us get to define racism as trivial, least of all white dudes like us. It’s not a zero-sum game either: we can be passionate about ending racism *and* be passionate about serious environmental issues as well. 

I think JCS use of trivial only applies when the other option is death.

Anyway A2 is going to have an enviromental message, whose to say the impact it will have. It would be crazy if a film saga could change masses of peoples opinion on something as important as climate change.

Also Tele are you still confident this is making less than $3b, did you see how much Wolf Warrior 2 made in China?

Edited by IronJimbo

11 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I think JCS use of trivial only applies when the other option is death.

Anyway A2 is going to have an enviromental message, whose to say the impact it will have. It would be crazy if a film saga could change masses of peoples opinion on something as important as climate change.

Also Tele are you still confident this is making less than $3b, did you see how much Wolf Warrior 2 made in China?

Of course I’m still confident. :lol: It might make a billion in China and still not crack three billion worldwide. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Telehilation said:

None of us get to define racism as trivial, least of all white dudes like us. It’s not a zero-sum game either: we can be passionate about ending racism *and* be passionate about serious environmental issues as well. 

You either misread what I wrote or are being purposefully facetious, I'll assume the former as I've come to know you're not of the same ilk as some on here. 

1. Racism is trivial by definition if survival is at stake. The very act of racial discrimination is contingent on the survival of the human race. You don't get to go around changing the linguistic landscape to suit your own political agenda. What I said is a tautology. 

2. To imply that 'racism' is outside of the realm of 'white' people is totally abhorrent, it discredits the suffering of many thousands of people throughout history, say the Irish, to name but one ethnic group. 

3 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

Of course I’m still confident. :lol: It might make a billion in China and still not crack three billion worldwide. 

:apocalypse:Speak to me again when the trailer hits, let's see if you will post smug emojis then!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, feasby007 said:

BUT BUT BUT, I found this gem:

On 2011/11/10 at 9:42 AM, vc2002 said:

You know this is probably the only time in the history that 500m DOM would be considered as a a disappointment lol

And little did this guy know that The Last Jedi was to exist! Plus, that made 600m and yet people consider it a disappointment (Technically it's brilliant but under-expectations. Let's not get into that in this thread though)

Well that's because I didn't know a $900m grosser was to exist in the first place. I made that post in 2011.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

You either misread what I wrote or are being purposefully facetious, I'll assume the former as I've come to know you're not of the same ilk as some on here. 

1. Racism is trivial by definition if survival is at stake. The very act of racial discrimination is contingent on the survival of the human race. You don't get to go around changing the linguistic landscape to suit your own political agenda. What I said is a tautology. 

2. To imply that 'racism' is outside of the realm of 'white' people is totally abhorrent, it discredits the suffering of many thousands of people throughout history, say the Irish, to name but one ethnic group. 

>accuses someone of being facetious

>is facetious in return

you do you

• ...wtf 1

10 hours ago, Mulder said:

>accuses someone of being facetious

>is facetious in return

you do you

Please, do expand on what aspect of my reply was in the least bit facetious, I take this topic very seriously, as it is one that impacts every person alive, and yet to be born. 

I would also point out that your use of Tu quoque does not discredit my argument in the least, although again I must ask, is this the American education system of the last two decades I am seeing at play? 

(Also not certain what the '>' means, if you're denoting sarcasm then I retract the above statement, for obvious reasons). 

well yes, if you compare a social issue to the end of the world then it looks trivial, but I think that goes for most things...?

And to suggest that "everyone is worried about racism and nothing's being done about climate change" simply isn't true. I am not someone who particualrly cares about racism and I dont personally see it as an issue to worry about but I think you are delusional. With the exception of Trump's America, there is new legislation in most of the world coming through all the time to push for renewable energy, recycling, lower emissions, etc. for example my country the UK has recently decided to ban the sale of petrol and diesel powered cars.

For every technology company that is innovating to protect our environment such as Tesla... well, how many multibillion dollar companies are there that are fighting racism?

Just because you hear about global warming less than racism on social media, doesn't mean less is actually being done.

6 minutes ago, Tree Billboards said:

well yes, if you compare a social issue to the end of the world then it looks trivial, but I think that goes for most things...?

Of course, you're totally correct. The fact is though that climate change is dealing with the end of the planet (as we know it). Which is why I originally made the point that any socio-political 'problem' becomes trivial in comparison. 

Global warming isn't the fashionable term anymore either, remember, the UK as one example, if the gulf stream stops then everything will get very cold! You're on the same latitude as Canada, I've seen how this place locks up at the sight of snow, imagine that times 100. 

17 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Everything outside of survival is trivial by definition. If we don't survive, nothing else matters. 

They will never fix anything until that actually admit the real cause of the problem......too many people.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AndyK said:

They will never fix anything until that actually admit the real cause of the problem......too many people.

Agreed, there was a documentary with David Attenborough (I can't recall the specific one right now) where he made the very great point about overpopulation destroying the planet. I think that and the consumption of meat are things that we're going to have to take a very long hard look at in the coming decades to mitigate total environmental disaster. 

1 minute ago, feasby007 said:

Fixed, in accordance with the beliefs of James Cameron Fan Boys (Officially JCFBs)

I don't think you need to be a fanboy to predict huge numbers in China. Avatar was a phenomenon of massive proportions there, and over $1 billion in China is actually considered a likely event by most CBO followers. Wolf Warriors 2 would adjust to around $900 million in current exchange rates, and we still have almost 3 years of growth to go until Avatar 2.

• Like 2